What is a "GENERATION", according to the Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, and Greek Lexicons?
1. All of the offspring that are at the same stage of descent from a common ancestor: Mother and daughters represent two generations.
2. Biology A form or stage in the life cycle of an organism: asexual generation of a fern.
3. The average interval of time between the birth of parents and the birth of their offspring.
4a. A group of individuals born and living about the same time.
4b. A group of generally contemporaneous individuals regarded as having common cultural or social characteristics and attitudes: "They're the television generation" (Roger Enrico).
Microsoft Encarta Dictionary Definition:
1. group of contemporaries: all of the people who were born at approximately the same time, considered as a group, and especially when considered as having shared interests and attitudes : the younger generation
2. stage in descent: a single stage in the descent of a family or a group of people, animals, or plants, or the individual members of that stage : three generations down the line
3. time taken to produce new generation: the period of time that it takes for people, animals, or plants to grow up and produce their own offspring, in humans held to be between 30 and 35 years : after three generations of war and conflict
4. particular generation in sequence: a particular numbered stage in the sequence of generations of a person being identified with a particular characteristic ( usually used in combination ) : a first-generation immigrant; a third-generation graduate
5. new type: a particular stage in the development of a product or technology, especially one marking a significant advance : one of the new generation of computers
6. phase in life cycle: one of the successive phases that make up the life cycle of some organisms : the gametophyte generation
7. production of power: the production of electricity, heat, or some other form of energy
8. production of young: the act or process of bringing offspring into being
1a : a body of living beings constituting a single step in the line of descent from an ancestor
1b : a group of individuals born and living contemporaneously
1c : a group of individuals having contemporaneously a status (as that of students in a school) which each one holds only for a limited period
1d : a type or class of objects usually developed from an earlier type <first of the…new generation of powerful supersonic fighters — Kenneth Koyen>
2a : the action or process of producing offspring : procreation
2b : the process of coming or bringing into being <generation of income>
2c : origination by a generating process : production; especially : formation of a geometric figure by motion of another
3 : the average span of time between the birth of parents and that of their offspring
Strong's Greek Dictionary Definition of the Greek Word "GENEA" (G1074) used by Jesus at Matthew 24:34:
"GENEA" (Translated as "GENERATION")
Outline of Biblical Usage of this word:
1) fathered, birth, nativity
2) that which has been begotten, men of the same stock, a family
2a) the several ranks of natural descent, the successive members of a genealogy
2b) metaphorically a group of men very like each other in endowments, pursuits, character
2c) especially in a bad sense, a perverse nation
3) the whole multitude of men living at the same time
4) an age (i.e. the time ordinarily occupied be each successive generation), a space of 30 - 33 years
WATCHTOWER SOCIETY DEFINITIONS:
* Before 1995: All of those people alive in the same year that a major event occurred, or all of those born in the same year.
* 1995 - 2008: All wicked people who are alive anytime since the year 1914. There is no time limit for this generation.
* 2008-2009: All of the Anointed Remnant who are alive during the last days anytime since 1914. There is no time limit on this generation.
* 2010: The Anointed who witnessed the events of 1914 AND the Anointed whose lives overlap with those original Anointed and who are alive when the Great Tribulation begins.