I saw religulous last night

by Cagefighter 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Ok, just the last hour or so. I avoided it till now because I get so sick of smug "I am better than you cuz I don't believe in God" types. But Bill Maher is someone I have always respected as an honest debater. I admit the movie got me thinking. I disagree with him probably on the concept of God and spirituality but on religion I tended to agree.... The problem is I am also a Christian. Maybe this explains why I find it so hard to go to church? Any thoughts? I feel a crisis of faith coming on.

• asilentone
    asilentone

you are a christian? LMAO!

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Ya, a very bad one.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I think the point of that movie is to cause people to really think about what they believe.

If it leads to a crisis of faith, then what's causing that? Allow yourself to ask questions about why you believe what you do, ask more, and see where it leads you. But be intellectually honest about it.

Good luck!

GGG

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

The crisis of faith statement was hyperbole. I apologize for any confusion.

I guess my issue is how to practice and exercise my belief with out being a blind idiot.

Plus it just kind of boggles the mind when you think about the old testament and all the requirements. Makes you wonder.

• flipper
    flipper

My wife and I own this DVD " Religulous " and it is excellent. Honest and forthcoming it causes everybody to really analyze their beliefs. I highly recommend it as well

• tec
    tec

I saw it last week. Had avoided it because I thought Bill would just be pompous, but for the most part he wasn't. He was hard on some people to the point of being cruel once. Like the guy in the Christian store - asking him why he didn't kill himself if he wanted to go and be with Jesus. But except for a couple parts like that... I've known harder-hitting atheists/agnostics on this forum:)

The one and only thing that really irritated me was his comparing all those past 'god-men myths' to Jesus. A bit of research proves those comparisons false. If he's going to make a movie like that, then someone should have dug a bit deeper to determine the authenticity of those claims before he put them out there. But I had been warned that it was in the movie, so I just ignored that part.

I liked the Christian truck drivers. Christ-like and not just Christian. (Bill called them that, too)

Tammy

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

I missed the first half I guess I should go back and watch the whole thing. The God-men myths is a little bothersome to me and that is one thing that gives me a lot of doubt. I guess I should research it more.

• minimus
    minimus

I think you should get laid.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Working on that....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit