Belief in the Torture Stake and Noah's Ark - My Issues

by MrFreeze 17 Replies latest jw friends

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

The whole earth could have meant "all of this land about us".

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Agreed BUT, that is not the WT position, and that's my point.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

The whole earth could have meant "all of this land about us".

But since we don't don't and it entirely and 100% doesn't matter, who cares.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

This is impalement illustrated by Justus Lipsius:

Now Greek and Latin terms were not as precise as English ones. The Greek verb for the kind of execution illustrated here came to be used interchangeably with anastauroó for crucifixion, and the Latin word crux which was the main term for crucifixion was also used by some (such as Seneca) for the kind of execution illustrated here by Lipsius. But the English word "impalement" does not generally refer to crucifixion with a simple pole, i.e. outside the publications of the Watchtower Society.

But what they leave out is that stake was just a mounting platform. multiple Nails in and out of it would destroy it. Plus you have to take into account a kicking screaming prisoner fighting for life. Would be much easier to use that stake as a mount fixture and nail the guy to a flat board on the ground to immobilize him. Then hoist him up onto the stake and affix him to some sort of mount point. This way the bible is not lying about the cross, But neither is christendom.

Or the victim was already tied to that board and forced to carry it all the way to the execution site. Which is what the gospels probably describe Jesus doing. The Romans had a word for the wooden beam carried by the victim: patibulum. The Greeks didn't have a separate word for it. The word stauros referred to the apparatus used in crucifixion, regardless of what shape it had; as Artemidorus shows, it could refer to the composite apparatus or the portion carried by the victim.

Being different to prove youi have the truth is going to backfire.

Well said.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    But the English word "impalement" does not generally refer to crucifixion with a simple pole, i.e. outside the publications of the Watchtower Society.

I don't think you will find ANY language in which impalement denotes being nailed to something, I think it is porbably quite uniform that implament means being impaled on something, not nailed or attached to it.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Which makes me wonder, since this is an issue with English, how the NWT renders the words when translated into other languages.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Ark was about 600 years after Adam and Eve, We werent spread through the earth yet.

Yes we were...on every continent (except Antarctica). There were were people in Africa, Europe, and the Americas.

BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Which makes me wonder, since this is an issue with English, how the NWT renders the words when translated into other languages.

I quick look into Matthew 27:31 says impaled in English and in Portuguese says "nailed to a stake/post".

"..pregado numa estaca".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit