Why would you want 'to prevent forest fires'?

by AK - Jeff 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Before anyone jumps down my throat about the disruption of lives, occasional deaths, or property damage that occurs: I am basically referring to forest fires that occur in remote location.

Seem to me that following the money on this one leads to greed. Deforestation by natural fire, volcanoes, and so forth, has been occuring on this planet for a very long time, and is generally positive in the long run for the land. Aside from some concern about erosion, in time the area is better than it was before the fire.

Housing, tourism, infrastructure, seem to be the big losses that concern us.

Just thinking outloud, out of the box I have trained to stay within by both my country and other institutions seeking to control my opinion.

Jeff

• JeffT
    JeffT

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." For a very long time the Forest Service assumed that forest fires were a BAD THING. (they can be, as you noted). However they later discovered that there are big benefits to fires, namely it keeps the understory of the forest from simply accumulating a huge fuel load during dry season. Native Americans understood this hundreds of years ago.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Forest fires are a natural way of clearing dead brush, thick low lying trees/bush. Pinecones will only bud when a fire comes through and "opens" them up. It also helps control trees that are diseased.

This is why the forest service (USFS) and states with a wildfire protection agency (CAL Fire - California) have switched to prevention to "control burns". Control burns lowers the threat of raging out of control large destructive fires from breaking out.

So forest fires are good for the health of the forest ultimately. Building subdivisions or towns in or near a forest where control burns are not regular and common place maintenance item, sets that town or subdivision at a higher risk for destruction.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Because Smoky the Bear told me only I could.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Smoky the bear smokes too much weed. Don't listen to potheads.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

AK jeff..

Why would I want to prevent forest Fires?..

I live in the Forest.

Forest Fires are not good for my well being..

Death by Forest Fire,is a Reality here..

http://daikoclam.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/forest-fire_1076.jpghttp://www.bemorehealthy.com/CaliforniaDays/CalFires2003/fireman.jpg

................................. ...OUTLAW

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Your subject line reminds me of an old joke. . .(with all due apologies). . .

Q: Why doesn't Smokey the Bear have any kids?

A: Whenever Mrs. Bear goes into heat, he smacks her in the head with a shovel and dumps a bucket of wet sand onto her.

Carry on.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Without little fires, the forest develops enough dry material for big ones. If we let the little ones burn, there never gets to be enough for a big one.

• Bystander39
    Bystander39

One jingle/bumper sticker spotted in support of managed forest fires include: More Prescribed Burns - Fewer Wildfires. Another: Burn often, burn safe. A prescribed burn it just what it sounds like. An area is selected to burn (based on natural communities and how often they would burn on their own), then a prescription is written covering humidity, wind speed and direction, etc. If conditions meet the prescription a burn takes place. Of course, there are times that the weather changes, but that's another topic.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

The chaparral biome has a lot of fire-adapted plant life. Fires are good for them, but it seems like every four years in socal, we get an out-of-control wildfire.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit