Am I the only one who thought the GB was 100% correct when they were a JW?

by NiceDream 29 Replies latest jw friends

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Hi NiceDream:

No, sweety. You are not the only one who thought the GB was 100% correct in everything.
    I was a devout, fully-believing, undoubting JW. I fully believed the GB were the only ones being directed by Jehovah and were 100% correct.

I was caught by a fully-baited hook. What choice does one have when they are born-in? How could the only thing I knew be wrong? My parents were infallible, too. After all... how could they be so totally wrong about such an important issue?

That was, until I came head to head with the "morality issue" after my divorce. I took dance lessons, met many nice men who expressed interest in me --- and I fell for my exciting new dance partner....And got myself disfellowshipped. Now I call that a happy ending!

Love

ESTEE

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I also thought it was like the Isrealites... Moses wasn't perfect but he was the only way to God...

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

like Fox Mulder we wanted to believe, and when we found out it was not the truth we were upset. The true believers become the large army of powerful apostates.

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

It is nice to know I'm not the only one. This realization that the GB isn't "inspired" has knocked the very foundation out from under me! I was born-in and also thought there was no choice, and my parents were 100% in it.

I just talked with my Mom, and she doesn't think the GB is 100% correct and believes they are just imperfect men. I was shocked! I don't want to impose this controlling religion my children. I felt so guilty because I made a Valentine's mailbox in Grade 2, and helped carve a pumpkin in Grade 5. I prayed for years for forgiveness of my major "sins." Are these things really the end of the world? Should a child feel they are going to die at Armaggedon because they stood for the national anthem but didn't sing? No wonder so many Witnesses are a bit wacky.

I'm a little bitter in case you couldn't tell, but I do realize that my parents were just making the best choice they could at the time.

ESTEE - What an amazing love story! I'm so happy you found a nice man...and one that can dance!

• Titus
    Titus

Hello NiceDream. I am Titus. Or "Comrade Tito" for friends.

Regarding the "inspired" or "not inspired" issue, in 1 John 4:1 you will find good advice: "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world."

Or, if you read 1 Thessalonians 5:21, also: "Be you proving of all things; hold fast to what is fine."

And finally, Acts 17:11 say: "Now the latter were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so."

It is not wrong to put the GB on test, according to the Bible. I believe that nobody can say anything against that. But I think we should not spread that and disturb others with that, until we are absolutely sure that it IS NOT "the truth."

COMRADE TITO

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

NiceDream,

If the Watchtower was God's organization, they wouldn't make mistakes, because God is perfect. He's almighty, all knowing, omnisapient...and his organization would the same... but there is no such thing.

You need to have your husband dead Deuteronomy 18:21-22:

Deuteronomy 18:21-22

Listen to this passage

21 You may say to yourselves, "How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD ?" 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.

• bobld
    bobld

I never did.I felt the (j.w.) were to the GB,like the R.C. to Mary.Both worship a human being.Total nuts.

B

• geevee
    geevee

I was the same. I bought it all. I remember going on and on about how no other church had the GB!!! What an idiot. The reason is because is is not scriptural. A self proclaimed title to make the members of it MORE important, holy, better and must be believed over common sense that anyone else.

Arrrrrgggghhhh I can still get mad about it after being 5 years clean!

:-)

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

Thank you COMRADE TITO and TastingFreedom for the Scriptures to read, they are very helpful.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I never believed that. I DID think they were being used by Jehovah, but not according to their estimates.

I recall the account where Paul was shown that he was to eventually give a witness to Caesar, and this followed with a political move on the part of the Jerusalem congregation to have him pay for the ceremonial needs of two Jews/Christians finishing their respective period of nazarite-ship vows in order to avoid trouble and dissension locally. The Jerusalem elders had their agenda, and Paul going along with it led to a different outcome.

It was in this manner that I thought the Bethel-Borg were being used. I never had the idea that they or any other professed 'anointed' were 'magical beings who, like indians "know mysterious things".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit