my $1.87 bottle of pepsi at dunkin donuts

by DaCheech 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I drive all day at work.

I usually pack my thermos of coffe, but have to stop 2 times a day for a drink.

the other day was dying of 98 degree heat, so I was hard up for a drink.

alas, I saw a dunkin donuts, figured they gotta have something other than cofee.

Saw, the frig with soda, and iced teas.............. picked up a 20oz pepsi.

went to pay for it, sir it will be $1.87. I was thirsty so I paid it promptly.

as I walked away, I wish I could mark up stuff this much.

in my work, I can barely mark stuff up 25-30% and these guys marking this stuff up 300%?

I can go to supermarket and buy 3 of these for what 1 cost or buy 1 1/2 large bottles.

where is this going? even at 7/11 or quickcheck it would cost $1.25?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

What are you complaining about? Here in Australia a similar sized bottle sells for about $3 AUD at take-away places.

• Think About It
    Think About It

In 1999, I remember a time I went to a football game. It was so hot & humid that people were continually being taken to the hospital due to heat stroke. From what I recall, a few people even died from the heat. I was so thirsty paid $7.00 for a big water. I hated the principle of paying that much for water, but do believe I would have died if I didn't get it.

Think About It

• tiki
    tiki

It's the devil's world...what do you expect? hahhhhhhhhh it's those dammm greedy worldings, you know...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is a complete ripoff. The price of a 20 oz pop at a mainstream supermarket is around $1.35. I see pop on sale regularly for $1.25 a bottle--a 2 liter bottle at that. Regular price for a 6-pack of Pepsi products is $4.99 for 24 oz bottles (of course, it is often on sale for around $3 a 6-pack).

Why is this a ripoff? I would not complain about these prices on milk or orange juice (assuming the milk was quality milk, not those rBGH-tainted products that pass as "milk"). But, all you are really getting is water (about 7/8 water), high fructose corn syrup (pop averages 28 grams per 8 pz serving, or 12.5% high fructose corn syrup), artificial flavors and colors, brominated vegetable oil, caramel color, phosphoric acid, caffeine, and sodium benzoate (not all pop has all these ingredients, but most have the high fructose corn syrup). Diet pop is an even bigger ripoff, since it is almost 100% water with a few grams per 8 oz serving of aspartame, artificial flavors and colors, and the other ingredients. You are paying $1 a pint for water.

What's even worse is when they do not allow you to bring your own drinks in plastic or metal containers (non-alcoholic ones), and they charge $5 or more for a 16 oz cup of soda. Especially, if they are indoors and dog ventilating and cooling the venue. That, to me, is a classic case of price gouging. You charge a small fee to get in, and then gouge for drinks. That is downright dishonest: I would rather pay a higher price to get in and have free water or pop at prices that make it not worthwhile to bring your own in, than have to pay an arm and a leg for high fructose corn syrup or aspartame once I get in.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

the point is:

I though $1 to $1.25 was fair........... that's what 7/11, quickcheck, and deli's charge, but dunkin donuts was $1.87?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My husband is on the road all day too. In the summer, he freezes a gallon jug of water to keep in his car and drinks it as it melts...cheap and convenient.

• Caedes
    Caedes

The worst part is that when you buy soft drinks like coke and pepsi by the cup the quality is dependent on the operator putting the right amount of syrup in. It is very easy for unscrupulous operators to reduce the amount of syrup the machine adds. Filling the cup with ice is another trick to reduce the amount of product actually being put in the cup.

Soft drinks mixed on the retailers premises is a huge rip off, it costs the retailer a fraction of the cost of selling refridgerated bottles or cans and they can charge a lot more to the consumer.

• freydo
    freydo

Try buying diabetic test strips. They cost about .08 cents to produce and sell for almost a buck a piece at Sam's Club.

• Caedes
    Caedes

The mark up on soft drinks is that sort of range, I used to work at a shop that sold tiny pots of acrylic paint for modellers. The pots cost 1p to produce and sold for £1-£1.50.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit