Are there dangers in being 'spiritual but not religious'? - CNN Article

by Mr. Monday Night 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> I kinda think of the illustration of the good samaritan. How it wasn't necessarily someone in his church,temple,synagogue or whatever that spurred him into action but just that he saw someone in need and was willing to help out.

Yep... all of the priests and other holy people walked right past the man in need. It was the unbeliever who stopped and helped.

Ironically, the bible supports the idea of rejecting organized religion.

• Weeping
    Weeping

People who say that are actually falling for a form of spiritism. Another of Satan's traps.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Is there really such a thing as spirituality? Does spirituality require belief in a god? What is spirituality? The only definition that I find makes sense is this one Whatever makes you feel peaceful, joyful and content is spirituality.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Spiritual means knowing where we come from, knowing our purpose, and working in harmony with that purpose. Religion teaches us one viewpoint on what that purpose could be, and their interpretation of the rules in working in harmony with it.

If a religion gets it wrong, one can be very religious and spiritually very sick. If one finds one's purpose and works toward it, and does not acknowledge a God that can tell them what to do, one could be very spiritual and not religious at all.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I think a Jesuit preist is going to have his own particular bias on this subject.

Without a spiritual community and being just you and God would you be moved to reach out to those in need?

Yes you would. It is part of who we are as people. Spirituality is one of the 4 human needs. Religion is not.

WTWizard, love your answer!

The Watchtower and Jehovah's Witnesses are a fine example. They hand out magazines but how have they really helped the disadvantaged? I know there are some churches who do so much for people in need and I don't discount this. I don't see where pushing your beliefs on someone needing food or medical help etc. is in anyway helpful unless they specifically ask about your beliefs.

It always bothered me that the Watchtower forced it's people to force their viewpoints on others. If all religions went away tomorrow, we, as human beings would still help each other.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Yep... all of the priests and other holy people walked right past the man in need. It was the unbeliever who stopped and helped.

Ironically, the bible supports the idea of rejecting organized religion.

The Samaritan was not an "unbeliever." He belonged to a different religion. So, the conclusion does not follow.

I think Jesus' point was that true examples of compassion are not tied to one's religious profession (or even lack of it). Sometimes these genuine examples of compassion can put us to shame.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

There's a danger of being someone who jumps on every bandwagon that comes down the pike.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

Looks like Martin, the Jesuit priest is using good old watchtower tactics. Insult the people who dont join organized religion, call them selfish and other insults. And while I dont believe in this article Martin used the "Lone Ranger" label, it is usually a negitive label put upon people who dont go to an organized church.

There is nothing in the Bible that states that you must join a church, the 1st century christians met in small groups.

One of the great things about waking up from the watchtower is to see how the watchtower twists things around in their magazine. Those same tactics can be used with other groups. For example, you take one of these "you must go to church" people, and ask them what is required for salvation? They usually respond putting faith in Jesus. Then when I point out that going to church is not required for salvation, they hem and haw like the watchtower and spin around in circles to try to say that while you dont have to go to church for salvation, you kind of do, but you dont, but you kind of do, etc. LOL

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

I agree with chickpea. Bollocks! (Boy, that sounded funny coming from me!)

The people who suggest that "spiritual but not religious" is self-absorbed are simply upset because their pews aren't full. One doesn't mean the other. It's quite possible to be engaged in community and working for others without an organized church to put you up to it; atheists do it all the time!

No one "needs" doctrine and organization. If you like it, fine. But the historical relationship between church and community is not the end-all and be-all of community. People can build community without a church---or a government, for that matter---telling them how to do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit