Is water baptism required to get your sins forgive by the JW society?

by evangelist 1 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• evangelist 1
    evangelist 1

I know many catholics and other religion say and make water baptism a requiremenet to get saved and get your sins forgiven, but how does the society see water baptism?

Do they also baptized in three name or just only in Jehovah name when baptizing a JW?

IS only the elders allowed to get baptized or anybody can get wet?

let start with this for now.

one love

• Pootler
    Pootler

More recent exiters might know more, but as far as I know, JW baptism is not at all about forgiving sins. It's about dedicating your life to being a JW. Since Jesus was without sin when he was baptised, and the JWs want to emulate his baptism as much as possible, no mention is made of sin. It's nt really a very spiritual experience from what I've heard.

Anyone who is deemed ready - i.e. has had a bible study for 6 months or more, or is old enough, say 10 or 11 years old and up - is strongly encouraged to be baptised. So not just elders.

And you get baptised in the name of Jehovah, Jesus Christ and God's spirit directed organization. Not in the name of the holy spirit, but in the name of The Watchtower Society.

Once you've been baptised you are considered to be a Jehovah's Witness, with all the responsibilities and restrictions that brings. But as a bonus, it is your passport to Paradise after Armageddon. ;-)

• yknot
    yknot
    I know many catholics and other religion say and make water baptism a requiremenet to get saved and get your sins forgiven, but how does the society see water baptism?

Full immersion only but it 'technically' the action an outwardly 'token or symbolic' gesture and not the basis of salvation.

In reality it is a membership ritual into the 'social club' called Jehovah's witnesses (below I will post the 2 questions asked of the approved (yes to be baptized you must be approved to do so the Elders- per clubhouse rules and regulations)-- however when a person is actually be immersed no words are spoken other than a few intial comments on how to hold your hands so to allow the 'Brothers' to dunk you fully and quickly.

*** w85 6/1 p. 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication ***

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

Here is a link to download the 'baptismal prep' book entitled 'Organized to Do Jehovah's Will' in it you will also find the 100+ question asked by the Elders to determine if a person is a candidate for JW dunking. Below that is a link to download the 2009 WT Library CD so that you may search our former publications on any subject you wish. (The above quotes from the WT for instance are copy/pasted from the CD)

ODBook: http://www.4shared.com/file/62479717/d683f930/2005_ODBook.html

WTCD: http://www.box.net/shared/fxbj02mr0x

Do they also baptized in three name or just only in Jehovah name when baptizing a JW
    ?

No. Jesus, Jehovah, God's spirit-directed organization.

Again the baptismal candidates (yes plural because we do mass dunkings at Circuit Assemblies and District Conventions) are asked 2 questions that I will post again below, however when the actual immersion is performed no words are said.

Question 1: On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

IS only the elders allowed to get baptized or anybody can get wet?

You must be approved by the Elders in order to be dunked.

Approval is based on you studying one or two Watchtower produced publications, going out in 'field service', making known a desire to become a JW (ie dunked) and demonstrating you have 'accurate knowledge' via baptism pre-questions found in the ODbook (link above).

Again the reasons have to do with the fact that joining the JWs is like joining a social club......except this one is for LIFE. There is no honorable way to end your membership once joining. You must either 'disassociate' or be kicked out by 'disfellowshipping', both are causes to be shunned by members.

Another 'tidbit'.......... unless you claim to be of the 'anointed' ....... JESUS, isn't your mediator to Jehovah God. Rather you benefit from his sacrifice by your association with 'Christ's Brothers- ie anointed' --- by association I mean you allegiance and full no wavering, unquestioning obedience to the the 'responisble representatives of the "Faithful and Discreet Slave class'-- ie Govering Body which sets out interpretation on all 'bible teachings'. To disagree with these interpretations is to be an apostate once baptized JW, and the the catalyst for disfellowshipping.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

11/15/51 Watchtower

I wish I could get the format to work

• blondie
    blondie

Here are some recent WT quotes: (just reporting not supporting)

*** w06 7/1 p. 25 par. 15 They Were Born Into God’s Chosen Nation ***At Pentecost, the apostle Peter told receptive Jews and proselytes: "Repent, and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the free gift of the holy spirit." (Acts 2:38) Such Jews and proselytes had to signify by their baptism not only that they had dedicated their lives to Jehovah but also that they had accepted Jesus as the means whereby Jehovah would forgive their sins. They had to acknowledge him as Jehovah’s High Priest and as their Leader, the Head of the Christian congregation.—Colossians 1:13, 14, 18.

*** w02 4/1 p. 11 par. 6 Why Be Baptized? ***At Pentecost 33 C.E., the apostle Peter urged his listeners: "Repent, and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of your sins." (Acts 2:37-41) Though he was addressing Jews and proselytes, Peter was not talking about baptism to symbolize repentance over sins against the Law; nor did he mean that baptism in Jesus’ name pictures the washing away of sins.—Acts 2:10.

*** w70 5/15 p. 304 par. 2 Your Conscience Toward Jehovah ***As we have observed, water baptism does not symbolize "the putting away of the filth of the flesh." It does not picture our being washed from our sins in the blood of Jesus Christ, which washing is spoken of in 1 John 1:7 and Revelation 1:5. Rather water baptism expresses a "request made to God for a good conscience."

*** w69 7/1 p. 413 Your Decision to Serve God ***What, then, does Christian baptism signify? It is not a washing away of one’s sins, because cleansing from sin comes only through faith in Jesus Christ. The Bible explains: "By means of him [Jesus] we have the release by ransom through the blood of that one, yes, the forgiveness of our trespasses."—Eph. 1:7.

So rather than being a cleansing from sin, Christian baptism is a public demonstration, testifying that one has made a solemn dedication to Jehovah God and is presenting himself to do His will.

• blondie
    blondie

Additional

*** w89 1/15 pp. 12-13 What Prevents You From Getting Baptized? ***What Baptism Symbolizes

15 It was with the backing of the holy spirit that John the Baptizer immersed people. (Acts 13:24) He baptized them, not to wash away their sins, but in symbol of their repentance. (Acts 19:4) John also baptized Jesus, who "committed no sin." (1 Peter 2:22) And Ananias urged Saul of Tarsus: "Rise, get baptized and wash your sins away by your calling upon [Jesus’] name." (Acts 22:12-16) Hence, Christian water immersion does not wash away sins. Not baptism but the pouring out of Jesus’ blood and "calling upon his name" make forgiveness possible.—Hebrews 9:22; 1 John 1:7.

16 Although Christian baptism does not wash sins away, it is a symbol indicating that the individual being immersed in water has made an unconditional dedication to Jehovah God through Jesus Christ. (Compare Matthew 16:24.) To dedicate means "to declare, to affirm, to devote." Dedication to God refers to the act whereby a person is unreservedly set apart by an agreement to do God’s will through Christ. Figuratively, when the baptismal candidate is temporarily "buried" under the water and then lifted out of it, he dies to his previous course and is raised to a new way of life, to do Jehovah’s will unreservedly.—Compare Romans 6:4-6.

REASONING FROM THE SCRIPTURES

*** rs p. 55 - p. 56 Baptism ***

Does Christian water baptism result in forgiveness of sins?1 John 1:7: "If we are walking in the light as he himself is in the light, . . . the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin." (Thus, not baptismal water but the blood of Jesus cleanses us from sin.)

Matt. 3:11: "I [John the Baptist] . . . baptize you with water because of your repentance; but the one coming after me [Jesus Christ] is stronger than I am, whose sandals I am not fit to take off." (Verses 5, 6, also Acts 13:24, show that what John did was directed, not to all people, but to the Jews. Why? Because of the sins of the Jews against the Law covenant and to prepare them for Christ.)

Acts 2:38: "Repent, and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of your sins." (Did the baptism itself bring forgiveness to them? Consider: This was stated to Jews who shared responsibility for the death of Christ. [See verses 22, 23.] Their baptism would give evidence of something. Of what? That they now put faith in Jesus as the Messiah, the Christ. Only by their doing this could their sins be forgiven. [Acts 4:12; 5:30, 31])

Acts 22:16: "Rise, get baptized and wash your sins away byyourcallinguponhisname." (Also Acts 10:43)

• lesterd
    lesterd

Baptism has a much heavier commetment, it is a covenant relationship with Jehovah, through Christ, guided by holy spirit. I see nothing of a GOD excepted organization.

, it is a symbol indicating that the individual being immersed in water has made an unconditional dedication to Jehovah God through Jesus Christ.

Matt 28:18

some doubted. 18 And Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: "All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things."

• designs
    designs

In JW theology Baptism would be considered Transitive whereas in the Eastern Orthodox system it is considered Substantive.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

The questions you answer before being baptized are all about dedication to Jehovah and to the Borganization, not about Christ's forgiveness.

The WTS is not in the forgiveness biz, they're in the "free labor for our publishing company" biz.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Baptism is an loyalty oath the the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society and their governing body. This is why I was rebaptized by a non-denominational preacher in 2007. It was a great experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit