Have Any JW Leaders Told You Not To Have a Gun?

by Cold Steel 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I've heard of some JW leaders telling members of the congragation they shouldn't have guns for self defense. I mean, how is someone going to feel comfortable smiting your other cheek if you have...like...a .357 magnum pointed at their face? I wouldn't do it. I'd probably smile and say, "Hey, that's an unusual color for a Bible!" I suppose you could have one for plinking, but how about protection of one's home and family? Do they still discourage that? Has anyone here ever caught any flak for having a handgun or shotgun?

Just curious.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

no, not for my 9mm, .44, 12 GA., .22, .370 or .30-30.

• blondie
    blondie

People including jws hunt here so have shotguns, rifles, guns. Not a word, since at least 50% of the elders have guns. You can shoot animals just not people for your job.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

My presiding overseer about three years ago mentioned to me in a van full of people that he doens't have a gun for self defense. He explained that if somebody ever should break in his house, he will lie down and explain to them that they is a JW and that they do a good work in helping people.

I spoke up and said "while you are explaining all that to him, when he comes into my house I'm gonna go ahead and shoot him".

He didn't really say much. I could tell he didn't approve.

-mentallyfree31-

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I've heard of some JW leaders telling members of the congragation they shouldn't have guns for self defense.

In my area, those with handguns for self-defense cannot have any 'privileges'.

• blondie
    blondie

CURRENT "LIGHT"

*** w07 12/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

How should a Christian view hunting and fishing?

The Bible does not condemn hunting or fishing. (Deuteronomy 14:4, 5, 9, 20; Matthew 17:27; John 21:6) Still, Christians who hunt or fish need to consider several Scriptural principles.

God permitted Noah and his descendants to kill and eat animals, provided they bled the animals before eating them. (Genesis 9:3, 4) This directive emphasized that animal life should be respected as having originated with God. Thus, Christians do not kill animals merely for sport or for fun and with wanton disregard for life.—Proverbs 12:10.

There is an additional aspect involving our attitude. The apostles who were fishermen were likely gratified by a good catch. Yet, there is no indication that they bragged about their prowess at fishing or hunting or that they went fishing or hunting to compete with others, to prove their manhood, or to have the thrill of the chase, the fight, or the kill.—Psalm 11:5; Galatians 5:26.

Thus, we might ask ourselves: ‘Am I an example in showing respect for Jehovah’s view of life? Does hunting or fishing dominate my thinking and conversation? Does my way of life reflect the hunting culture, or does it show that I am a minister of God? Does hunting or fishing put me in close association with unbelievers or cause me to neglect my family?’—Luke 6:45.

Some who hunt or fish for food may feel justified in putting aside spiritual matters during hunting and fishing seasons. However, we show faith and trust in God when we do not let anything take priority over his interests. (Matthew 6:33) Furthermore, Christians obey all of “Caesar’s” laws regarding hunting and fishing, whether the authorities enforce them or not.—Matthew 22:21; Romans 13:1.

To conform to Jehovah’s view of hunting and fishing, some may need to adjust their thinking with regard to his standards. (Ephesians 4:22-24) On the other hand, we need to respect the conscientious decisions of others. Appropriate in this case is the apostle Paul’s counsel: “Let us not be judging one another any longer, but rather make this your decision, not to put before a brother a stumbling block.” (Romans 14:13) Showing such unselfish love and respect makes for peace in the congregation and pleases our Maker, the Source of all life.—1 Corinthians 8:13.

[Footnote]

See also “Questions From Readers” in the May 15, 1990, issue of TheWatchtower.

*** w90 5/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

TheWatchtower of July 15, 1983, discussed why true Christians do not carry or keep guns for use against humans or protection from them. (Pages 23-6) Meditating on that counsel has led some Witnesses to reevaluate having even hunting guns. Not a few have chosen to get rid of their guns altogether or to avoid having them on display and readily accessible. These Christians thus would not give the impression of taking pride in weapons or trusting in them. Furthermore, not even having hunting guns, or not having them easily accessible, can avert tragedy. The deadly weapons could not then come into the hands of children who might accidentally hurt or kill someone, nor would guns be at hand if someone was extremely frightened or depressed.—Compare Proverbs 22:3.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Reminds me of a warning sign I once saw at a guy's front door: "I don't dial 911, I dial 045"

• designs
    designs

The Society began discouraging gun ownership in the late 60s. A lot of Brothers had nice collections.

The brother that studied with me was All Navy Pistol Champ and had pistols and hunting rifles. He taught my brother and I to shoot and fly fish at his ranch in Colorado where we spent many summers.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

If someone wants to turn the cheek at an assault, that's fine with me -- if that's what he thinks the scriptures mean. But a man who won't defend his wife or children, in my view, is a coward. In fact, we have a moral obligation to do it.

I don't know why the elders would discourage it. Remember when Balaam encouraged the Canaanites to seduce the Israelite men with their women and thus incur the wrath of God? One of the young princes dragged a woman into his tent in open defiance of Moses and a Levite grabbed a spear and thrust both of them through. The action of this Levite actually turned aside God's wrath.

Okay, the situation was a bit different, but we see a little bit how God most likely views things. If the Levite had had a good scatter gun, he could have just shot through the tent. Then they could have just rolled up the tent and buried it!

Good point in how to kill animals through bleeding them. But JWs eat animals that are most likely slugged in the head and shot.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

(By the way, how does one change one's avatar here? Some people have their own, which is way cooler than using the default ones. Thanks.)

One more thing. What if a natural disaster occurs and there's no police? After Hurricane Andrew in the early 90s, many people spray painted warnings on their homes, like, "WARNING: ARMED 24-HOURS A DAY! WILL SHOOT TO KILL!" If there's an earthquake in L.A., or the supervolcano in Yellowstone erupts, dialing 911 may not be an option. There's noting unbiblical about killing in defense is there?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit