Are you an Independent Thinker since Exiting JW's - Or Still a Follower ?

by flipper 30 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

My wife and I are finishing reading an excellent book titled " Deep Healing " by Emmett E. Miller, M. D. The essence of this book is showing how our mind and body works in synchronicity with our mental health affecting our physical well being.

He also addresses the issue of how " group mentality " or peer pressure can influence seemingly " normal " people to totally ignore reality and allow a " group " of people to coerce them into believing an untruth. This experiment was conducted in a college by psychology professors . Called the " Red Hatted Thief " it went as follows :

" The degree to which our perceptions, beliefs, and behaviors can be distorted by environmental cues is truly breathtaking, as the following study demonstrates . Fifteen college students are assembled in the classroom on the first day of class. The professor comes in with a briefcase, sets it on the desk, scratches his head, then turns to the class and says, " I forgot my slides. I'll be right back. " Having said this, he leaves the room.

" About 30 seconds later, a man walks into the room wearing a red cowboy hat, casually picks up the professor's briefcase, and leaves. About a minute or two later , the professor returns, looks at the desk, then turns to the class and says, " What happened to my briefcase ? "

" In actuality, only one of those in the class is a student, the other 14 are working for the professor . They begin to describe to him how a man in a YELLOW cowboy hat came in and carried it off. At this point, the professor turns to the unwitting subject of the experiment and says, " Did you see him ? "

" After this question is answered in the affirmative , the professor continues, " And he had on a yellow hat ? " Profoundly influenced by the social setting, the answer is usually, " Yes, it was a yellow hat. "

" In fact - Unbelievable as it may seem, some 70 % of the subjects in these experiments agreed that the hat was yellow ! A few subjects qualified their response by " recalling " that it was a yellow hat with a red hatband or it had a red feather on it or something, but they ALL agreed that it was yellow. However, most felt completely comfortable about agreeing that the hat was yellow. "

The Doctor's book continues, " It turns out that not only perceptions, but also behavior, can be altered in fundamental ways by minor social cues. We sometimes talk about " mob psychology " , choosing that term because it makes us think we are talking about people who are different and somehow inferior to us. This, too, is a comfortable but erroneous assumption. "

So you ever wonder how Jehovah's Witnesses can believe the ridiculous new " generation overlap " theory ? This may be one reason. Wanting to fit in due to peer pressure and wanting the " group think " of the WT society leaders to make ALL their decisions for them and think for them. As JW's we never HAD to think independently- the WT society did it for us. In fact they CRITICIZED any one who thought on their own independently. ( One reason I never fit in with the JW's ) .

The scary part of this is that under cult mind control people have been led to their deaths by conforming to " group think " pressure, i.e. People's Temple Jonestown, David Koresh , the Nazi's , terrorist's , yes- even Jehovah's Witnesses in refusing blood transfusions, Malawi witnesses not signing a political party card , and observing insane doctrines of doomsday dates wasting entire lives waiting on Armageddon then dying unfulfilled due to Paradise never coming. All because of peer pressure and group think by the WT society.

So what about you here on the board ? Have you been able to break away from the " peer pressure" or " group mentality " which makes us followers or have you enjoyed the use of your free critical thinking mind after exiting the witnesses independently pursuing happiness in your life ? As always- I look forward to your takes and observations. Hope you all are having a great holiday weekend ! Peace out to all, Mr. Flipper

• The Finger
    The Finger

I question my existence that alone my independent thinking.

• moshe
    moshe

The best advice I can give is to continue looking for dishonest journalism and leading language. Ex-JWs already know that the word, 'evidently', can mean just the opposite.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

He really did have a yellow hat, I saw him!

• tec
    tec

I'm learning to be a stronger free thinker. Sometimes I catch myself waiting for someone else to answer first, so I can feel better about whether or not I think my opinion is right or wrong or just plain stupid.

The strange thing is that when this happens, (and it happens less and less as I grow more confident in my thoughts and opinions) it is only in a discussion or group setting. But almost always, as soon as I am by myself, I reset and reform my own opinion without any peer-pressure influence from the earlier group opinion at all.

Then, the next time, I'm not hesitant about voicing my opinion on that subject.

Tammy

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm an independent thinker and am not afraid to be the only one in a large group with a different answer if I'm sure that I'm right.

I've been wrong many times when I was sure I was right, and what happened? I learned something! College classrooms are my heaven

• White Dove
    White Dove

Tammy,

Me, too!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I strive to be an independent thinker now that I have left the Jehovah's Witlesses. There is pressure even in the world to conform to a "normal" pattern of thinking in so many areas. Back in the early part of the 20th century, it was racism. During the 1980s, it was sexual orientation. Now, it is age difference within a relationship--people think it's acceptable to insult older people dating someone that, while an adult, is much younger than themselves (which I think is no bigger a deal than interracial relationships).

Another area that there is substantial pressure to follow the Establishment, perhaps the biggest, is the medical Establishment. I do not go to the doctors, because I know already which drugs they are likely to prescribe and that those drugs will probably make things even worse and waste my time and money. I do have to see the dentist occasionally, however--and most of them are pro-fluoride. Trouble with fluoride, taken internally it prevents calcium from being absorbed (fluoride alone is not enough). Even on your teeth, calcium fluoride is softer than the metal probes the dentists use (it has a hardness of 4; the probes have a hardness of 5). Healthy enamel has a hardness of around 8. And most toothpaste has glycerin, which prevents minerals from reaching the enamel (glycerin is, however, quite safe to swallow). But, just try telling your dentist that fluoride produces weaker and/or more brittle teeth, and they will throw a fit.

I am sure there are plenty more examples. But, the place it pays to think independently is at the voting booth. Look up all the candidates for inconsistencies in their stories. Look at the sites of all the major independent parties, even the upstarts. Look for yourself that these political parties are either the answer, or they are just more bullsxxx. Then, make your own decision based on all this at the voting booth.

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

I always felt a feeling of being ashamed to use my god given gray matter in my skull, without first consulting a Watchtower first, or an elder, over many matters. The cult kind a weaseled up on me, by my watching my father and many of my siblings squirming each time the Society would make their croaking utterances. They society is nothing more than a Demigod

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I believe that I am an independent thinker but I will need to check with my superiors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit