Utterly destroy

by hoj 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hoj
    hoj

Many times God orders His people to utterly destroy the enemy. This one is from Judges, the same book that had Gideon's army which I see as allegory. Could this be figurative also?

Jdg 21:10-12 And the congregation sent thither twelve thousand men of the valiantest, and commanded them, saying, Go and smite the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead with the edge of the sword, with the women and the children. (11) And this is the thing that ye shall do, Ye shall utterly destroy every male, and every woman that hath lain by man. (12) And they found among the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead four hundred young virgins, that had known no man by lying with any male: and they brought them unto the camp to Shiloh, which is in the land of Canaan.

The command was that men, women, and children would be slain with the sword. They did so, except they brought back four hundred young virgins. Didn’t they fall in the category of men, women, and children?

First, verse 10 included women and children without directly mentioning the men, but they would be included in the “inhabitants”. Verse 11 explains how to do it. It includes the males and doesn’t mention the children. It also would indicate that virgins were not to be slain. They brought back four hundred of them. How did they know which ones were virgins? Would they ask them, saying that if they weren’t virgins they would need to be slain with the sword?

In the parable of the sower, the sower sows the seed. The seed represents the Word in that parable. The male sows his seed, the woman receiving it. There is conception and then birth. So the male in the story could represent the teachers, the ones sowing their doctrines. The women who have lain with them are those who receive those doctrines. The children would be spiritual babes and would also be receiving the doctrines, so they didn’t need to be mentioned in verse 11. But the virgins weren’t receiving men’s doctrines.

When the men went through the city with their swords (the Word of God) they would slay the males who were teaching their doctrines and the women and children who were accepting them. The virgins, since they were innocent, wouldn’t need to be slain. They are like the 144,000 of Revelation 7 who were virgins and were sealed from being slain. They could tell which ones were virgins because they wouldn’t have the men’s doctrines, neither as teachers nor as learners.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

OR whoever wrote the account wanted to make it seem like it's ok to commit genocide and kidnap hundreds of virgin girls, basically wiping out an entire nation of people, by blaming "God" for giving the order.

I think my simpler interpretation is more likely.

• cattails
    cattails

But notice it wasn't God that wanted this done. It was the assembly of Israelites.

Look at verse 25

"In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes."

Sometimes men try to put blame on God for the things men do. This whole account really

shows 'sickening' and 'despicable' things some men can do to other people.

• thetrueone
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Many times God orders His people to utterly destroy the enemy.

I would reword this to state: "Many times, men have written that God orders His people to utterly destroy the enemy."

The Bible is a book written by men to use God for their own purposes. Do we have proof that this specific account actually took place?

As one poster has stated before, if the Old Testatment had been working, there wouldn't be a need for the New Testament.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Watch this for another viewpoint on genocide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6sdpc8stqI

• hoj
    hoj

But notice it wasn't God that wanted this done. It was the assembly of Israelites.

Look at verse 25

"In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes."

Sometimes men try to put blame on God for the things men do. This whole account really

shows 'sickening' and 'despicable' things some men can do to other people.

Cattails, that verse fits well with my interpretation. Consider the first verse of the Bible that mentions being right in your own eyes:

Deuteronomy 12:7-9 7 And there ye shall eat before the LORD your God, and ye shall rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, ye and your households, wherein the LORD thy God hath blessed thee. 8 Ye shall not do after all the things that we do here this day, every man whatsoever is right in his own eyes. 9 For ye are not as yet come to the rest and to the inheritance, which the LORD your God giveth you

Verse 9 says that the reason that they shouldn't do what is right in their own eyes is that they hadn't yet come to rest in the inheritance that God would give them. In Judges God had just given the inheritance so it would be good to do what is right in their own eyes. The way this makes sense to me is until you are ready to enter the rest and inheritance, you might as well have a king to tell you what to believe. But when you enter the rest, it is better to take the water into your own hands and believe what is right in your own eyes.

Back to "utterly destroy"... In the day of the Lord when the Bible becomes understood, those who understand are to utterly destroy men, women, children, cattle with the edge of the Sword (the Word of God), but save the virgins (they are not indoctrinated). People aren't being destroyed, it is their doctrines and high places. They should become part of the inheritance. The land (churches) will become the inheritance when they are transformed through the Word.

• hoj
    hoj

Check out www.evilbible.com

The God of the Bible seems evil if you take it literally. You get what you worship. The religions when they take the battles literally have reason to see their "holy wars" as service to their god. The wars continue in God's name. If God's command is to those who understand to utterly destroy the religions of error, then the idea of the evil god goes away. The literal holy wars will end and we can fight the spiritual holy wars against error.

Which way will it be... a literal Armageddon because of taking the Bible literally, or a figurative Armageddon where all the denominations come together to battle until all of what they teach comes to an end? If it is the latter, I believe the physical wars, at least those justified by religion (which is most of them) will come to an end.

• hoj
    hoj

The Bible is a book written by men to use God for their own purposes. Do we have proof that this specific account actually took place?

I don't believe that it actually took place. I believe it is prophetic instruction on how to enter the rest and inheritance. The Bible is a sealed book that the wise will understand in the time of the end (whatever that means).

• hoj
    hoj

Watch this for another viewpoint on genocide

That was pretty good. I'll have to bookmark that one. It shows how ridiculous it is to take the Bible literally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit