A Question.......

by palmtree67 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

EVIDENTLY, according to the WTS, the major way to reach people is by the printed page.

Why didn't Jesus write any books?

• tec
    tec

(I'm guessing this is a rhetorical question, but...)

He didn't need to write any books. He was the Word. His sheep heard his 'voice', and after He was gone, He knew that the Holy Spirit would continue teaching.

Tammy

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Not a rhetorical question, dear Tammy.

Your's is the best answer I've heard so far. I will need to ponder it for awhile.

BTW, I live close to you.....

• Scott77
    Scott77

If you gals live closer to each other, then perhaps you could work it out with apostafest thingy. Why not?

• tec
    tec

Thanks, Palmtree.

BTW, I live close to you.....

I was thinking that when I read that you lived in Northern Alberta. If you feel comfortable about talking or getting together, I'm definitely up for that. (a little nervous, which is a little weird, because I'm not usually nervous about meeting new people - but I've grown to care about the people on this board, so all of you matter to me.)

Meantime, I'm off to St.Albert for the rest of the weekend with the boys.

Tammy

(edited)

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I lived in Morinville for a few months. I'm in Edmonton often. Will let you know when I'm next there.

Further to my post, tho:

You said, Holy Spirit would continue the teaching. Do you beleive that teaching would come through an organization or individually? Doesn't every religion claim to teach from holy spirit? If they truly taught by holy spirit, they would have the fruitage of that spirit - love, joy, peace, kindness, etc.

I just don't see much of that fruitage in the WTS.

Maybe Jesus didn't write a book because words can be twisted to mean something different than what was originally meant.

• not a captive
    not a captive

Yes, a book written by Jesus would have fared no better than the gospels do now. And then there would always be a scholar who could laugh at me just as they do now.

When Jesus said "I know my sheep and my sheep know me" I believe he knew exactly what would happen to us.

I also do not see any evidence that Holy Spirit was intended for groups and then that group told every one else what God wants. It is simply reasonable that this would not happen.

Just think: If there were a group of men and the spirit spoke to each of them, they would find themselves inagreement one way or another. So, if that is the case take it outside a board meeting and say the spirit acts on believers outside in the same way. Jesus really made it clear at Mark 9 that he didn't want believers to be "preventing" one another. He implies that we will be at peace with one another.

He also said, as wannabe mentions in his last thread, that "if anyone wants to do the will of God they will know if these teachings are true".

It seems to me that God is entirely adequate to unify us without the deadly effects of Orthodox Religion. The very fact that believers such as you and tec would willingly come together in Jesus' name says alot.

Just my thoughts.

• wobble
    wobble

The printed page is becoming redundant in a digital age.

In Jesus' time it was traditional to remember the sayings of preachers, perhaps recording them for posterity by writing them down eventually , but usually passing them on orally.

It is my fervent hope that before I die a document that is genuine and written close to the time of Jesus, recording his real sayings , is found.

Something like the "Q" document posited by many scholars to be the source of the common material in the Gospels.

Then we would know why his teaching caused such a stir, could be he was a real political agitator, hence his early death.

Was he necessarily that literate ? (Could he write well?) We do not know. In his time, to write an apologia was not necessary.

In this day and age the WT with its magazines and books is an anachronism.

• sabastious
    sabastious

It's all a test. REPENT CHILDREN BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

REPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

-Sab

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

At the end of the gospel of John I believe the scriptures note that if all the words Jesus had spoken were written down the world would not be big enough to hold the scrolls....anyway I dont believe he needed or wanted to write his words down...it was enough that he spoke them... and preferred the differing perspectives to be told in writting ....

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit