Going up to Colorado for a couple of weeks!

by JWoods 14 Replies latest jw friends

• JWoods
    JWoods

Thanks, LWT and everybody.

LittleBird, did you know that the big white hotel in Estes Park is the Stanley Hotel that was used in the movie "The Shining"? They say they have a great Sunday Buffet there.

It was originally built by F.O.Stanley, one of the twin brothers who made the old Stanley Steamer antique car.

Yes, we see deer and elk from our cabin (it is right on the St. Vrain river) and a black bear last year. We had a baby rattlesnake in the woodpile last summer.

• littlebird
    littlebird

Ooooooo, I love everything but the snake! I thought it might be too cold up there for snakes, but , I guess not. I live about a 1/2 E of Aurora (suburb of denver). We have alot of rattlers out here, scary.

Yes, I know about the Stanley, they do ghost tours too. I would like to go for kicks, but the Jw hubby would protest. I'm really looking forward to going up there. We are going to stay at the Dripping Springs Resort, looks pretty nice for us outdoor types.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

JWoods, enjoy your vacation! If you want to head up the road to Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park, Trail Ridge Road opens for the season this weekend.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Well, we just got back and it was great to get away.

First, let me say again what a great car the Porsche 911 is. My old daily driver 1996 993 Targa got us there and back in great speed & comfort at 26 mpg and turned up the magic number 111,111 miles on the odometer during this trip. It is just about 975 miles each way and I drove it up and back in one day each by myself (Mai cannot drive a gearshift car). Hard to believe that it has been over 40 years since my first 911 - a 1969 911T Targa, and the last of the breed 993 is still very much the same car with upgrades. My stepson has the new water-cooled 997, but I am sticking with the traditional air-cooled for as long as it will last - which looks to be a long time.

Well, we have broken down on the primative cabin aspects and got a phone and dish TV - and it already had a dishwasher and a clothes washer and dryer and a detached 2-car garage...so, not much left of the call of the wild. But I did get a lot of reading done, including a biography of German physicist and Nobel Prize winner Werner Heisenberg - who was instrumental in the Nazi WW2 Atom Bomb research program. I may start a thread on this very interesting subject in a day or two.

Good to be back and will see you in the threads,

James

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome back!

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit