MOST DRAMATIC MOMENT in Science Fiction History?

by Terry 50 Replies latest jw friends

• poor places
    poor places

I've been reading books by a guy named Philip K. Dick lately. His books are all about questioning reality. Pretty interesting stuff for ex-JWs or current, in my view.

• metatron
    metatron

Two that need to be updated but are still great:

"Demon With a Glass Hand" - Outer Limits

"Colossus" - get rid of the damn dot matrix printers, for God's sake!

metatron

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Daniel-P, best laugh I had all day.

Terry, you must read Heinlein! I suggest Job: A Comedy of Justice.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Terry: A bit of advice from Mr. Heinlein himself. "Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."

• agonus
    agonus

David Bowman's transition to the Star Child (I'm talking about the film, of course).

Few films, sci-fi or not, contain scenes matching this moment of grandeur.

Oh, and the thrown femur morphing into the satellite. Oh, and HAL lip-reading Bowman and Poole's conversation. Oh, and Heywood Floyd's expression as he gingerly touches the otherworldly Monolith. Oh, and...

What, you think science fiction is limited to the printed page?

2001, IMHO, is the benchmark by which ALL sci-fi films (and, hell, all films, period) should be judged...

• Mary
    Mary

Paaaaah.......none of you are even close! The most dramatic moment in science fiction history is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSJFrhb-HM&feature=related

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Philip K. Dick is maybe the best SF short story writer EVER. Heinlein and Asimov and Bradbury wrote some excellent short stuff, too, but the wrote vast novels, as well. Dick's best stuff was in short stories.

As for Heinlein having an agenda, I kind of wonder "so what?" SF in his era was an avenue where one could explore delicate and controversial themes and more easily get away with non-PC character behaviors because you had it all happening in a speculative world/universe. Most of the great speculative fiction had some point or other to it.

Terry, I know you've gotten some recommendations already for Heinlein but I have to go with "Stranger in a Strange Land" as my personal favorite.

Should we start a separate thread for Fantasy or include it in here?

• agonus
    agonus

Hah hah Mary, I had a drama teacher 'round about the time STIV came out named "Mrs. Wessel." No shit! You can only imagine the jokes that circulated back then...

Oh, BTW, Joel, Mike and the 'bots PWN!

• agonus
    agonus

"Philip K. Dick is maybe the best SF short story writer EVER."

Hard to argue. Ever read "The Electric Ant?"

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

How about the moment when the alien bursts out of Cain's chest in the movie Alien?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit