Were You A Happy JW or An Unhappy One?

by mentallyfree31 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

On the face of it I looked happy, but deep down I was very unhappy, so i finally got out.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I was a happy JW ... now I must pause, I don't know anymore, I thought I was happy, but I know for sure that now I am miserable because I have known for the past few months that it is not what I thought so now every meeting sucks life out of me, I worry what I might say that will cause trouble, I wonder how to plant thoughts into my children without alarming ... I am now truly miserable as a Witness cuz I guess mentally I am not one yet I am still there.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was miserable for the entire 20 years.

W

• blondie
    blondie

I had periods of happiness but then that is true now. Happiness is not a constant state of being no matter your situation (unless you are on drugs and it is artificial)

• wobble
    wobble

I am basically a happy person, so I was always cheerful at the meetings, but the last few years * found the meetings SOOOOO boring that I entertained myself by walking around at the back of the Hall and talking to whoever.

I can honestly say I am now the happiest I have ever been, life has its little problems, but I am so layed back now that I can't see my feet for that big Wobble belly !

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I thought I was happy. But I started to be unhappy when I started to have doubts, and became tired of the hypocrisy. Then I left, and I was happy because I was free!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There was about a year of hoping that it would improve, after which it was nothing but stagnation. It was the same old crap all the time, where I never seemed to accomplish anything.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I started out happy (almost euphoric). After the few years of love bombing phase was over and the rude awakenings set in one after another, I got progressively unhappier. I stayed on the fringes of the religion in this semi-unhappy state.

I grew to hate the culture and mentality of the religion when I saw the unacceptable attitudes towards single women. I wasn't buying their bill of goods about no-careers because I knew I had to support myself. Along with these rude awakenings there were nagging doubts about certain teachings that I tried to push to the back of my mind. In later years I admitted to myself that I was deeply and profoundly disappointed with the religion. And this is while I was still a believer!

Then came 2000 and the internet enlightened me to all the dirt, scandals and hidden history of the religion and I began my 'fade' in earnest.

• RR
    RR

My life has always been on the side of "content", deal with what life hands you, it was that way before the Society, during the Society and after the Society. I've always been the loner type

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

I was unhappy because I felt forced to be friends with people whom I had nothing in common with. My "worldly" friends at school were better Christians than my Witness "friends." The love is lacking in my hall, and has been for 15 years. I questioned how this is the "Truth" if the congregation is missing the identifying mark.

Now that I realize this isn't "the truth" I feel happy and hopeful. Free to live authentically, and not feeling guilty about not living up to standards set by people who are out of touch with "the real world."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit