SAVE THE WHALES & Clean up the OCEANS - your help requested

by AWAKE&WATCHING 9 Replies latest jw friends

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

FRIENDS!!!! I know you are all busy. Please make your internet time something you can feel good about. Please go to my FB page and click on 2 links to sign petitions to stop Obama from endorsing whaling and to seize BP's assets.

http://www.facebook.com/robin.brookman

Thank you!

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

http://www.seizebp.org/

&

http://whalingnomore.org/action/ sorry, I don't know how to make these live links

THANKS!!!!!

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

wow...anyone? anyone? Bueller?

• JWoods
    JWoods

Which is more important to you - the whales, or the BP oil spill?

Has it occurred that probably Obama cannot do much of anything about either one?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sent the whaling one, which is a subject close to my heart.....

It is a petition to the International Whaling Commission who are reviewing soon the current moratorium on commercial whaling and may well lift it..

• JWoods
    JWoods

I have to agree about the whaling, BluesBrother.

It is impossible for me to see why on earth this is a necessary activity for ANYBODY in the year 2010.

Note that the Japanese, some of the worst offenders, simply claim that it is their cultural "right" to do this. They certainly do not need to do it for food.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Note that the Japanese, some of the worst offenders, simply claim that it is their cultural "right" to do this. They certainly do not need to do it for food.

In washington state their are some native tribes that claim that right too.

I don't understand the "we've been doing it for centuries so it would be offensive to our culture to stop now" arguement.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    In washington state their are some native tribes that claim that right too.

And, I suppose, in Alaska...and I guess I can see that the Inuits (if they are really living in the native state) might have such a claim. I have less a problem with those few in primitive watercraft than I do with the huge commercial vessels out in the open sea, collecting them for sale to rich businessmen.

I think the dept. of the interior has set a quota system for the Native Americans which ensures that the species is protected - much like other U.S. hunting laws and permits.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I have never figured out how to copy and paste to this forum since I got an Apple and my typing sucks so I apologize...

anyway JWoods....why does it have to be either/or as far as which is more important? Is the oil spill NOT harming the whales as well as other wildlife? The harm to the health of humans is abhorrent, let alone financial and emotional issues these folks now have to deal with.

This is what Obama promised, "As president, I will ensure that the U.S. provides leadership in enforcing international wildlife protection agreements, including strengthening the international moratorium on commercial on commercial whaling. Allowing Japan to continue commercial whaling is unacceptable. As president, I will also work with my scientific advisors to develop a strategy to protect marine life and ensure that the mechanisms we choose to implement that strategy are effective. My administration will ensure that sound science - not ideology or profits - guides federal environmental policy." - Obama, June 2008

His administration is now championing a deal with the International Whaling Commission that would re-open commercial whaling for the first time in two decades. Unacceptable!

Please go to Greenpeace to sign the petition and tell the president to KEEP HIS PROMISE AND SAVE THE WHALES!!!!

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

yes I see "on commercial" twice ... sorry... I can't figure out how to edit either

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit