How do you help a girl having panic attacks?

by Cagefighter 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

I am so inlove with this woman.... We have been dating for six months and she is finally starting to let me in. She is the portrait of sweet country feminitiy and I am a masculine little macho but smart and sweet meat head.

She called me the other night having a panic attack. Well she texted b/c she couldn't talk. We got in a huge fight the next day. I told her I really have no idea what to do. I ask to talk she won't answer cuz she can't breathe? I ask her via text whats wrong and she says too much to text.

Should I help her visualize a happy place or something?

• sacolton
    sacolton

Medication. Maybe breathe into a paper bag?

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Back when I was in the thick of I dealing with divorce, in a bad work situation, and hitting the inital ex-jw fallout, I suffered a lot of panic attacks. I tried counseling and medication, but ultimately I just had to ride things out. Honestly, I have to wonder if it's really the right time for her to be entering a relationship if she's having trouble dealing with the stress in her life. A relationship will not reduce her stress any.

- Lime

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

I appreciate the thoughts but we'll decide about our relationship status. I need some practical advice to give her.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

A true panic attack is THE WORSE feeling in the world . Imagine feeling like you are having a heart attack ,your mouth goes dry , you can't catch your breath ,and your scared out of your mind ....but you really have no idea why ???? She can't tell you what she needs because she probably doesn't know herself ! Read up on panic attacks ....offer her support by just being there for her . Reassure her that you care , this may have to be repeated over and over . Encourage her to seek medical advice .Sometimes it takes medication and therapy to get it under control .

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

My daughter had panic attacks and we got help for her that required medicine and counselling.

She has learned how to avoid situations that cause them for her.

Helping your GF to seek help to understand whats going on with her is my advice.

and it's difficult

Be patient!!!

purps

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Sorry if I offended.. but I really think it's a matter for professionals. You're in a situation similar to what my friends and family went through when I was freaking out. They couldn't do anything for me.

She needs to choose for herself someone she's comfortable confiding in. She should look for ways to reduce or eliminate stresses in her life, and as she feels ready - she should make sure she's getting plenty of sunshine, exercise, and eating a healthy diet. Panic attacks can come from a feeling of 'not being in control' - so you forcing her to get more sunshine, exercise, etc. may not be helpful - she's still not in control.

Preferably she would see someone who can evalutate her neurological and neurochemical state in addition to providing phycological support. Panic attacks can involve an imbalance of neurotransmitters - which in turn can be caused by or causing a variety of things including hypo- or hyperthyroidism.

It's a matter for professionals, and can take time (up to a year or more) for the body to return to a normal non-paniced state. The idea to get medical help should be her idea - but you could suggest it if you do so in a way that doesn't put her on the defensive. (For example, best not to ask "Why don't you see a professional?")

- Lime

• blondie
    blondie

I think she needs to see a mental health professional to determine how serious these are, the source, and any therapy and/or medication that might be appropriate.

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/default.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/panic-attacks/DS00338

• JeffT
    JeffT

I went through a long spell of horrible panic attacks years ago. As pointed out above, she needs professional help, its one of those things you can't figure out by yourself.

• White Dove
    White Dove

My sources are two: the robbery in '04 and hearing people who give me advice on how to "hear" better so as to fit in better with hearies.

Actually have 3: those two mentioned above and attacking my parenting skills.

I seethe and go nuts and melt down when those three are messed with.

Now that I know my triggers, I plan for them and what to do before they come up. I have to tell myself, "Yes, this might happen. No, I'm not going to overreact."

If I don't plan ahead for each every time, my nerves may go crazy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit