Bible Students/Jehovah's Witnesses

by StAnn 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StAnn
    StAnn

I hope I'm coherent here as I have a question. From what I read somewhere in the numerous ex-JW publications, the majority of the Bible Students who followed C. T. Russell were appalled by the changes that Rutherford forcefully imposed and they refused to follow Rutherford. Because Rutherford was president of the corporation, the Bible Students could not keep the names of the Watchtower and the IBS but left the organization under Rutherford and have continued to this day, following Russell's teachings, and still calling themselves the Bible Students. Approximately 75% or more of these people jumped ship and abandoned the corporate entity run by Rutherford in the five year period following Russell's death. So, that leaves approximately 25% of the original followers still on board when 1925 came (and went) and the corporation surged on.

Where did all of these followers who were alive in 1935, for instance, come from? If they weren't the "Russellites", who were they? And if Rutherford hijacked the WTS after Russell's death and most of the believers left, why does the WTS still claim any affiliation with Russell at all, since they abandoned almost all of his beliefs?

I can't quite understand why the current WTS tries to have any ties whatsoever to the original, pre-Rutherford WTS.

Here's a little snippet of some of the info I've read over the years:

http://www.biblestudents.net/history/lest_we_forget.htm

After Pastor Russell died, the Bible Student movement divided roughly in two in the years 1917 to 1918: half stayed with the Society, now called the “Channel”, with Rutherford at its head, while the other half, who opposedRutherford, showed their opposition by leaving. The dissenters went several different directions as they refused to be associated with an organization dominated by a man of such questionable character as “Judge” Rutherford. By 1930-32, about 75% had left of their own accord, or had been forced out by Rutherford, who tolerated no opposition of any kind.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The WTS HAS TO keep ties to the Russell years because of their "divine appointment" in 1919 as Faithful and Discreet Slave. If they discredit what the WT had been doing from the 1870s until Jesus' supposed inspection in 1918, they lose their appointment in 1919 and therefore lose ALL their AUTHORITY over the rank and file Jehovah's Witnesses.

If Jesus didn't find favor in the WTS when he inspected the religions of the world, then subsequently appoint them as "God's channel" of communication to the earth, then the Governing Body's authority to control the religion, make its rules, or do anything else, doesn't exist.

They're stuck with the Russell years, warts and all.

If you ever get a chance to read "Captives of a Concept" by Don Cameron, I recommend it. I'm only in chapter 4 right now but it's very well done. While you're at it, read Ray Franz's "Crisis of Conscience" which may be the most important book on JWs ever written.

• undercover
    undercover
    And if Rutherford hijacked the WTS after Russell's death and most of the believers left, why does the WTS still claim any affiliation with Russell at all, since they abandoned almost all of his beliefs?
    I can't quite understand why the current WTS tries to have any ties whatsoever to the original, pre-Rutherford WTS.

Rurterford basically stole the position of being in charge of the WTS so it was easier to market a known, existing entity than trying to come up with a whole new identity. They kept Russell's name and the corporation name to some extent, while systematically redefining the entire organizational structure and doctrines for the group. Rutherford did end up inventing Jehovah's Witnesses, though they still owned the IBSA name.

Typical hostile takeover... takeover, promise to keep things the same even up to the name and then bit by bit, change the structure to finally re-naming the new business model. By then, the disgruntled have left or the new management has had time to replace those that aren't loyal to the new regime.

Sometimes though I think if JFR was around to do it over, he might do things different. He really seemed to struggle with the worship of Russell by many of the early WT followers.

Maybe some of the historians of the crowd can give more detailed info and insight to how JFR used to think and reason.

Edit: I just read Mad Sweeny's post. I hadn't thought of the 1919 connection. Good point...

• JWoods
    JWoods

I somehow had the impression that a lot of the issue of the split was the Rutherford crackdown on the "elective elders" so as to take over all the local congregations, more than any particular doctrine. Rutherford was all about his own ultimate power.

Could be wrong, but just had that impression...

• StAnn
    StAnn

A couple of things. Since Russell died in 1916, it seems that Rutherford could later have claimed that it was the change in leadership and the subsequent changes in doctrine that caused the WTS to be approved, thus giving credence to dumping Russell's history. Of course, he didn't, so that's just speculation. And any such assertion would probably have caused the massive exodus of any Bible Students left in the crowd.

Also, again the question, where did the followers of Rutherford come from since so many Bible Students abandoned him because of his teachings?

StAnn

• JWoods
    JWoods

One thing to remember is that Rutherford first gained underhanded control of the main central power - i.e. the Watchtower - before he made any moves to control the outlying organization. Some left, but many stayed loyal to the printed magazine and its publisher.

Also, that there probably were not really all that many people involved in it at the time (<100K or so?) - this was early in the WTS growth pattern and there was plenty of time to build the Rutherford version of it all.

Remember, it was only in the 1930s that it became obvious that a "second class" would be needed because the followers were going to exceed the literal 144,000.

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

I found this interesting as well. Especially since I remember quite a few references to how much Jehovah hates a rebellion (comparing "break off" churches to Satan's rebellion) during my WT days. There was actually a break off that formed at my old congregation, though it was before I started attended meetings. Apparently they became Bible Students and went back to "old truth" or something like that. For a while, they started sitting at the back of the Hall with their own chairs and they just stare at everyone to be intimidating. Finally, the Elders got them kicked off the premises. Or so the story goes.

A similar situation seems to have happened with the Mormons. There are actually 2 Mormon churches; the one everyone knows about, which has millions of followers, and the ORIGINAL, which has only thousands. I believe it is (or was) lead by John Smith's family.

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

I mean Joseph Smith. Woops.

• designs
    designs

Isaac,

That seems to be about right, somewhere around 1 million Bible Students internationally comapred to the 7 million plus Witness publishers.

Rutherford basically flipped the Dispensationalist/Zionist teachings of Russell to a Hybrid New Covenantalism. He was more like John Calvin than Darby by 1930.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Wasn't this last Sunday's WT study about the "Great Apostacy" and how god's organization was cleaned out from within, the weeds. Was that about this issue?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit