PROFILE OF MY CONGREGATION

by onemore 10 Replies latest jw friends

• onemore
    onemore

It was mentioned in another thread that GB is struggling with the lack of zeal from many active JW’s. I thought of the REAL attitude and behavior of the active JWs in my congo. This is what I really really see….

Profile of my congregation and people close to me: married couples from their mid 30’s to early 40’s planning to and having children, saving for retirement and going back to college.

Young ones, behaving no different than non-JW’s teenagers, with the exception that they are clean cut, do their “pioneering”, go from “door to door” (only with people in their age group) and abstain from “fornication” (some, but they have internet access in their rooms…wink, wink). Only a few are the model JW teenager meeting the expectations of the GB.

The way I see it, for the older JW and many others in my congregation this thing is just as a social club…it gives them something to do, but I don’t see REAL zeal, some just parrot JW doctrines from what they hear from others, but there is no theological reasoning, not a clear understanding of the core JW’s doctrines and its history.

If it wasn’t for the shunning policy, the no blood doctrine, and the demonizing of higher education, I would say that I’m seeing no difference between a half way JW and an active Baptist. The new generation (pun intended) of JW is not the same as the one before it.

I see more and more males resigning their MS and Elder position and not aspiring to any so called “privileges”. As a matter of fact, they are not reacting in surprise when they hear that bro so and so is no longer an MS/elder.

What about yours?

• whatistruth
    whatistruth

I couldn't agree with you more. Especially the last two points you made. So true

• hoser
    hoser

Most congregations that I am familiar with have the same types of attitudes. The elders are getting old. The younger brothers don't want to "reach out" (who would want to?) , they are working at good jobs and have a good family life. At least 4 congregations in our area have been shut down due to lack of publishers/elders and the brothers have to drive 20 to 40 miles to the next town where there is a hall. In a nearby city 20 years ago there were 12 congregations, now there are only 7.

I don't see good things happening for the congregations in the next 20 years, the younger ones are just going through the motions and all the current elders will die off and the next generation doesn't want to take over the reins.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

It pretty similar here. Former elders outnumber current elders and the pipeline of MS is pretty poor. The WTS is well aware of this issue but they believe the solution is to beat the flock. That just leads to more apathy.

I think the WTS will die by a thousand cuts rather than go out in a big bang.

• whatistruth
    whatistruth

The point made where you said couples in their 30's and 40's are now having children and gaining better education in order to have a well paying job. This has changed dramatically from the previous generation. They forsook having children and pioneered, moved to where need was great, bethel, etc.. What I think has happend here is that this generation saw that when the previous generation came into retirement age they had nothing at all, they had to keep working until the day they died and on top of it, they had no offspring to enjoy and help them out when they got older. All because they were told and believed the new system would come before they got old...wrong yet again!!!

• undercover
    undercover

If it wasn’t for the shunning policy, the no blood doctrine, and the demonizing of higher education, I would say that I’m seeing no difference between a half way JW and an active Baptist. The new generation (pun intended) of JW is not the same as the one before it.

I agree. Take away the most cultish aspects and the average dub is not much more than a regular church goer.

But I think this is much to the chagrin of the leadership of the religion. They want the old 'generation' of dubs. Those that spurned the world and hung on every word of the GB. They're losing control of these younger ones and it could potentially be disastrous in a few years.

• sir82
    sir82

Yep, the "age of apathy" keeps creeping upward. It used to be that kds 25 & younger weren't "reaching out" - now the cutoff is 30 or 35 or so.

This means that the minority of kids who stay aren't developing zeal as they once did.

In another decade, there won't be anyone "reaching out" under the age of 40 or so.

10 years after that, the vast majority of elders & MS will be 50 or more.

There's a real leadership crisis brewing - it will make the Catholics' "priest shortage" look like a minor blip.

• onemore
    onemore

In conversations with about 10 active JW, I made subtle comments expressing my “confusion and lack of understanding” about certain things…i.e. the generation change, the totalitarian language, the lack of love and the dullness of the meetings. I’ve been surprised to see how they openly express their real feelings and doubts.

One of them told me…I’m so glad that I could talk about these things, not everybody is so open about these topics. My response was…if we want things to change for the better, we should stop being so afraid to talk with each other. There is no improvement where there is a policy of silence.

• peaches
    peaches

yup....sounds right...

• man in black
    man in black

when I left two years ago, our PO Br. redmann actually told my wife that he did not look at certain subjects (Sorry i dont remember, and I don't want to call him up and ask) that the wt society teaches the same way that they teach it.

He actually had his own ideas, yet he was the PO,,, hows that for spirit directing of the older men !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit