Did you ever feel let down by the Bethel tour?

by maninthemiddle 48 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I went as a child, but I don't remember much of anything. I only vaguely remember the concert hall/auditorium with the special effects ceiling in New Jersey. Since coming of age, when people ask if I had any interest in going there, or setting up a trip there, I tell them no and decline. I worked in manufacturing, and printing for a significant portion of my life, why would I want to spend almost three digit figures to tour facilities similar to where I was already at? My dad who's a hardcore old school Elder has said numerous times how ridiculous it is to take trips up there. He's also stated he could never work at Bethel, as they're more regimented and restrictive than the world.

• undercover
    undercover
    The thought of riding a bus from Oklahoma to New York didn't appeal to me.

I never took the tour bus deal either. The thought of a 12-14 hour bus ride with a bunch of JWs, even when I was one of em, had zero appeal.

The one time I went, we did our own private thing and someone in our group had family in Bethel, so he arranged everything at Bethel for us, but the hotel, transportation and everything else we did on our own. Which was a good thing. Once we were done with the tour, we were able to go do our own thing away from the JW influence.

We were invited to eat breakfast with the "family" ( *shudder* - just saying "family" says "CULT") but we declined because we knew that we would be finding some late night entertainment the night before that would preclude us from getting up early.

I do remember a Bethelite that befriended us (only because he had the hots for one of the girls with us) who took us to some of the favorite delis and bars in the area. It was kinda cool, the Bethelites seemed to know all the best places (for the cheapest price) and at the time it was fun to walk in with a local and there would be any number of other Bethilites in there and we would get introduced around and treated like regulars.

And we got some great photos of the skyline from one of the decks...

I think I've exhausted all the good memories of my Bethel trip...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was about 4 at the time..

They fed me and I did`nt get lost..Thats a good outing for a 4 year old..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• Heaven
    Heaven

I have never been. I don't ever plan to go. It isn't even in the realm of vague or remote possibility for me.

• FacePalm
    FacePalm

best bethel tour i had was when i went with a cousin who is a non-believer and didnt speak english, so i was supposed to translate everything, he would tell me the worst things to translate to them, and id have to say something completely different... one example was there was a video playing and someone from my hall was shown, he said "oh, i know those whores", i had to translate while laughing "he recognized someone from my hall", the bethelite giving the tour didnt understand why it was so funny

• JWoods
    JWoods

Which Bethel was that, facepalm?

• FacePalm
    FacePalm

brooklyn, been many many times, not on just tours, also on various bethel going away parties/borefests ... the best thing was the wonderful view, wish i could light up a joint up there

he also loved taking super gay looking photos in bethel when no1 was looking, cracked him up

• truthlover
    truthlover

went on a bus tour with a gaggle of cong. members -- must say --best time for a long while - lot of jokes -- lot of laughs -- then we hit Brooklyn -- a warehouse -- nothing to see but hot, muggy cement walls and floors -- some in book binding.. walked over to a restaurant across the park for lunch -- then off to Stanley --- what a gorgeous building -- actually ostentacious -- that place is worth millions -- it should be sold and given to those in the cong who need to eat, let alone pay bills -- there is no need for this..... no org on earth should be allowed to have these types of buildings -- only Solomon in his glory when God was speaking thru the prophets should this have been allowed... but no .... hard work of volunteers carried out the big changeover to a visiting / assembly area - the auditorium alone boasts a ceiling that changes from day to night with stars, etc. plush seats that most halls dont have for comfort.... chandeliers that you would die for, brass entry doors, polished to gleam.

water fountain downstairs -- found a 16th century french rug in the basement and restored it -- priceless...how much will that go for or where will it end up???In a GB apartment?? I believe Stanley is no longer on the tour menu..could be wrong....

Then the next day off to Walkill --- beautiful grounds with orchards -- no more farm there -- you can see where the money goes -- we got there at lunch time but were not invited.. saw a lot of the pictures in the mags on the walls, fountains and chandeliers.... mock up of Solomons temple as you enter the huge foyer... took a tour, nice

After being in NYC and the seaport and chinatown and a broadway show and some good eating - time to get back home...

returned home in same fashion --- laughing so hard -- so in all good memories of the folks - altho I have heard of horror stories on most bus tours...

Dont know what is going on there now - that ws about 7 years ago

• Gayle
    Gayle

Yes, . . and I was giving them . . . . . of the Bethel Home tour,,, early '70s.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit