Please post your comments on this pro-JW article

by Nathan Natas 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

link: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features-the-religion-world/2010/05/19/jehovahs-witness-magazine-is-worlds-most-widely-read/comment-page-1/#comment-439

Jehovah's Witness magazine is world's most widely read
    Jehovah - posted by anika palm on May, 19 2010 2:02 PM

The New York Review of Magazines (full disclosure: I was a contributor when I was a Columbia University graduate student) has a story about The Watchtower, the magazine published by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Writer Joel Meares spends some time distributing the magazine and knocking on doors with Frank and Lydia Tavolacci, two Queens, N.Y., Witnesses. It's an absolutely fascinating read.

The Watchtower is thought to be the world's most widely distributed and read magazine, printed in more than 180 languages each month.

• undercover
    undercover
    The Watchtower is thought to be the world's most widely distributed and read magazine, printed in more than 180 languages each month.

I won't argue the point about being the most widely distributed...but being the most widely distributed isn't the same as being the most read. I dare say that out of all the WT mags produced, the vast majority end up in the trash/recycle bin unread... Even a lot of JWs don't read the thing. I never read one cover to cover.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't know a single Jehovah's Witness who reads the entire Watchtower, ESPECIALLY the public edition. I don't think I've EVER read a public edition since they split the issues and I was active until just recently and was a damn good Dub if I say so myself.

If the Dubs aren't reading them, how can they possibly think the worldlies they give them to are?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'll admit that I have never heard of the New York Review of MAGAZINES before, but it seems to be a real publication.

Here's a link to their article on The WATCHTOWER.

http://nyrm.org/2010/05/13/the-most-widely-read-magazine-in-the-world/

Interestingly enough, they DO NOT have any reviews of The WATCHTOWER on their site. Gee whiz, guys and gals, don't you think we should help them out? I, for one, would love to see Blondie's reviews of The WATCHTOWER.

After all, this IS "the most widely read magazine in the world," right? People should be just SO eager to know what it says...

Blondie, will you?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I can see it being the most widely distributed.

As for read, I don't know, I mean if you were to ask the average person if that have read A WT publication in the last month or even years, what would you get?

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

The only positive thing you can say about the mags is three cheers for sequential pagination

• peaches
    peaches

figures....

• judge rutherFRAUD
    judge rutherFRAUD

I posted on an other site from the same mag a few days ago that Dogpatch linked to. It's great the more these mag's talk about the wts the more we can comment. keep them coming guys

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

"Despite rumors to the contrary, women can write for The Watchtower, but not on scriptural matters. “That’s what the Bible indicates according to our concept of it,” says assignment editor John Wischuck. “If they wanted to write something about dressmaking, a sister could do that. It might be in another case that she interviews another woman and writes up her life story. That would go through an editor or a rewrite.”

Yes JW’s get lots of important WT articles on dressmaking. Isn’t this comment the equivalent of saying, “Despite rumors to the contrary, Blacks can write for The Watchtower…"If they wanted to write about picking cotton, a Black could do that.”

“If you believe angels get upset when sisters don’t wear hats…you’re probably a J.W. male”

• Heaven
    Heaven

Done. Thanks, Nathan. Here are my comments:

The headline is misleading and therefore the journalistic integrity flawed. Do your research. It should be changed to read ‘most widely published’. A lot of magazines are never read. My Dad gets a pile monthly from his Kingdom Hall and the majority of them end up in his woodstove.

As far as the Watchtower magazine goes, if you do choose to read it you will quickly notice a formula. Your only salvation is through them.

The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society and it’s membership called Jehovah’s Witnesses have a 100% failure rate on the fulfillment of their Armageddon Prophecy for over 130 years. The Bible is very specific about false prophets.

For more information about Jehovah’s Witnesses and their beliefs, check out: http://www.jwfacts.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit