How did the Bible become the "HOLY" bible?

by Terry 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

No TV.

No Radio.

No Internet.

No daily newspaper.

How did a pre-technology world get information?

Word-of-mouth.

Rumor.

Visiting strangers.

Commerce.

The stories of Jesus were oral urban legends that probably began this way:

"Hey did you hear about that Rabbi in Jerusalem who could walk on top of water?"

Sort of like telling about a UFO sighting or an encounter with Bigfoot in our own day and time.

The credulous and the uneducated would be the first to listen and retell (with embellishments) what they'd heard.

Ask yourself how we all know what space aliens supposedly look like if it weren't for the trope of storytelling over decades.

Did you know that before there were Alien sightings there were Fairy sightings?!!

Each generation has its own Golem, vampire, succubus, Robin Hood or King Arthur.

The ACTUAL WRITTEN books of the bible are another matter.

NOBODY thought they were writing a book under inspiration! They were just writing a story!

Even Paul's letters (which preceded the Gospels) were just encouraging letters and nothing much more than that by reputation!

Paul had some sort of "vision" or hallucination---like a contemporary Catholic might see the Virgin Mary. He wrote about it.

The letters were passed around and probably wore out eventually. Copies were excerpted and passed on.

A farmer might see a UFO and be taken on a ride by Aliens who probe his butthole. Surely he'd tell all the details to whomever would listen!

Sure it sounds crazy---if it didn't--WHO WOULD EVER LISTEN AND PASS THE STORY ON??

The status of HOLY or INSPIRED was a gradual affectation. As the stories were written down and recopied an aura of importance EVENTUALLY

became attached to the original. In our own lifetime, the story of AREA 51 has taken on a life of its own. It has become a worldwide industry with movies, books, personal accounts, investigations and endless speculations attached.

Who wrote the original story? NOBODY!

So too with the Bible stories!

Hello? There may have never been an ORIGINAL!

Here is a thought experiment for you. Think about the origin of jokes. Sure, we know where George Carlin's jokes came from--he wrote them.

"A guy walks into a bar.." jokes---where do they come from?

Some anonymous Joe somewhere thinks one up and tells it.

Another person polishes it and makes it punchy.

Another teller makes it more colorful and tells it with an accent or adds an animal to it.....

The "final" joke is just a work in progress. The kernal of the joke has been wrapped in other people's ideas and talent for telling something funnier. There is no Author--per se.

The Bible was a series of urban stories not unlike jokes for the next guy to tell and make a little more colorful and exciting!

Deciding which books were "holy" or "inspired" was a fool's errand. They ASSUMED their premise (inspiration from God) and then set out to prove it!

Want proof?

Where are the ORIGINAL manuscripts to any bible book??

If any were actually HOLY----do you think they wouldn't be preserved and revered like the Shroud of Turin?

No, canonicity and inspiration are conceptual labels eventually attached to stories that were passed around, "improved" and retold until they got written down and edited.

At that point the cycle started all over. Redactors kept on "improving" and harmonizing until the "canon" got frozen.

Today, walk into any bookstore and see how much of the original Gospel isn't STILL BEING CHANGED AND RETOLD for modern audiences!

More people read contemporary retellings than read the Bible itself!

The story is always being adapted, stretched to fit a new context and passed on.

As Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses we can stop and ask ourselves this question: If today's JW were put in a Time Machine and sent back to talk to one of Russell's colporteurs or Rutherford's street peddlers, or Brother Knorr's Bethel graduates---would they share the exact SAME RELIGIOUS BELIEFS?

Absolutely not!

The TRUTH is no truth at all----it is just a story in progress. Each link in the transmission RE-CREATES the idea of TRUTH which is always better than what came before.

The Bible became HOLY so that we could all justify spending so much time considering it important in the first place.

Besides, it is nice being backed up in what we think is "true" by a superpowerful God who'll slap you down if you disagree with me!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think you make some valid points, but there is one thing you mention that I have pondered for awhile now, The Bible WAS a story in progress and then it stopped.

Why?

Why did it just stop there (at the NT)?

Yes we have the writings of the apostolic fathers, and some selected writings beyond that, but we really havene't added to it with the changes that have happened, have we?

• awildflower
    awildflower

Good question PS.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Good post Terry. I've asked that same question PSac. What was so special about the time periods covered in the bible? Did God get tired of talking/inspiring? He can't talk to just one other sane person and keep the wheel rolling? Not really feeling the Bible thing.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

How did the Bible become the "Holy" bible?

it has transformative power

God says it is holy

humans say it is holy

The bible is very philosophical and this long before philosopy was even a subject

It is emotionally satisfying and fulfilling for many people

It enables people to hope against hope, to have courage, to have faith

It enables peole to have an inner life and be self aware

need I go on (now where did I put those golves)

• Terry
    Terry

Why did it just stop there (at the NT)?

Yes we have the writings of the apostolic fathers, and some selected writings beyond that, but we really havene't added to it with the changes that have happened, have we?

A similar phenomenon occurs with LANGUAGE itself. A work of literature comes along of such great magnitude and reverence that language freezes around it.

For the French it was Victor Hugo's Les Miserables.

For the Spanish it was Don Quixote.

For the English it was Shakespeare and his influece on the King James version.

One the Roman Empire officially endorsed Christianity and locked in what was orthodox (belief) it set about punishing the UNorthodox by waves of purges, inquests, tests of loyalty, banishment, book burnings, etc.

Judaism similarly was frozen into the SEPTUAGINT after centuries of competing views, midrash, rabbinical commentary, etc.

Christianity was many opinions until there was only ONE ORTHODOX opinion permitted.

Changes continued by accretion.

The enormous influence of Augustine and Aquinas upon the philosophy of Catholicism made further changes to the "internal logic" of doctrine.

Martin Luther gave violent impetus to yet more changes, revisions and purges of what Christinaity was to become.

The institution of Sola Scriptura fractured Protestantism into "anybody can make up their own doctrines" which has plagued Protestantism with denomination wars.

And so on.....

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00997/school-shooting-3_997375i.jpghttp://www.legeros.com/south/images/ral-bible-with-bullet.jpg

.............................. ...OUTLAW

• cult classic
    cult classic

Thinking about my post above. Since the Bible isn't one continuous story but rather a compilation of books I guess I'm asking the wrong questions, huh?

No, if it's God's word he could just start another book. Then we'd have to verify its authenticity too. Guess we'd better stick with what we've got.... lol

• Terry
    Terry

How did the Bible become the "Holy" bible?

it has transformative power

God says it is holy

(Where? In the bible? That is circular reasoning. Using the thing to prove the thing is cheating.)

humans say it is holy

(humans say their lives are controlled by the movement of heavenly bodies and call it astrology too. So what?)

The bible is very philosophical and this long before philosopy was even a subject

(Augustine and Aquinas used Plato and Aristotle to shape up christian doctrine for the church. Philosophy started in ancient Greece. When Alexander the Great conquered the known world it was Greek philosophy that changed both Judaism and ultimately its transition into Christianity.)

It is emotionally satisfying and fulfilling for many people

(Emotions stem from values. If you are a Buddhist your values will make Buddhism seem satisfying too.)

It enables people to hope against hope, to have courage, to have faith

(Compulsive gamblers are filled with hope and faith. Otherwise, they would not spend their life gambling.)

It enables peole to have an inner life and be self aware

(Christianity makes you aware you are worthless, a sinner, deserve death and are born with codemnation. It makes you a loser from birth.)

need I go on (now where did I put those golves)

(Yes, go on and rethink your evaluation.)

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

A similar phenomenon occurs with LANGUAGE itself. A work of literature comes along of such great magnitude and reverence that language freezes around it.

For the French it was Victor Hugo's Les Miserables.

For the Spanish it was Don Quixote.

For the English it was Shakespeare and his influece on the King James version.

Terry

you have only shared your opinion and this is what I have done (your rhetoric v mine - we could go several pages). You need to provide an argument if you want to be taken seriously. Why do you say language freezes around a great work of literature? I rather think it is the other way round - a great work like the bible for example seeds culture and art imo. Michelangelo's work, da Vicinci's work. Milton and Shakespeare. Closer to our time - Darwin, Karen Armstrong etc

I'll be back tomorrow to reply

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit