Thank you, Mad Sweeney

by Yan Bibiyan 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

In the course of studying the many falsehoods of JWs, the subject of logical fallacies has come to my attention a number of times. I largely ignored it as something in my opinion "too dry" to dive inito.

Boy, was I wrong.

Mad Sweeney posted a link to a website explaining a number of fallacies in plain language (often with religious examples; wonder why ). While not as comprehensive as say Wikepedia on the subject, the referenced site was more than enough to open my eyes to a subject now I find very interesting.

Once I started reading upon it, the WTs use (or violation) of just about every fallacy from the list jumped at me as visible and distinct as black against orange.

Thank you, Mad for unknowingly giving me my new interest in the theory of logic and reasoning and further debunking the WTs BS.

For the curious, here it is: http://www.logicalfallacies.info/

-Yan

• zoiks
    zoiks

Isn't it interesting? I remember seeing a post from a few years ago with several examples of logical fallacies in WT literature that really opened my eyes. Using faulty logic doesn't necessarily mean someone is wrong, of course - that person may simply not know how to construct an argument. But the persistent and pervasive manner in which it is used in WT literature raises a lot of red flags in my mind.

I recently dove into logic and reasoning and got a copy of The Elements of Reasoning. It's a nice primer and reference, and not intimidating.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Thanks Zoiks. I will look into the recommended book.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Yan, you may enjoy http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/rhetorical-fallacy.php which lists and classifies a raft of common rhetorical fallacies in the Watchtower.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I hadn't seen this thread before until I just found it searching my name.

You're welcome, Yan, and thanks to others who provided more links here!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit