Shawshank Redemption and leaving Jehovah's Witnesses

by AllTimeJeff 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I doubt very seriously that I am the first to make the connection of exiting JW's and much of the movie "Shawshank Redemption".

Frequently, the injustice that many experience as baptized members of Jehovah's Witnesses cause them to want to resign, to leave.

But it is a prison of sorts. If you leave and announce it, you are shunned. And no one will talk to you.

Shawshank is such a remarkable movie to me for its simple, underlying theme; finding meaning in our suffering, and never stopping the fight against injustice, esp against our own freedom.

The best part of the movie is the line "You can either get busy living, or get busy dying."

Its a choice we all must face.

I like Red's narration of Andy, when he finally escaped through the sewer and said "Andy Dufresne - who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side."

I used that quote on another thread, but the thought makes me happy. Because like me, many of us here had to crawl through a bunch of shit to leave JW's.

And on the other side, we came out clean.

That is a point that I don't think should be lost on any lurker here. It sucks, it stinks to leave, and frankly, you shouldn't have to haul your ass through WT shit to get out of the place.

Sometimes, we can't help where we find ourselves, we can only proceed from where we find ourselves.

Andy Dufresne proceeded from where he found himself. I hope other JW's who know they should leave will consider that as well. It sucks, it stinks, but its also honest living, and it is clean.

Love you all. Good night.

• Think About It
    Think About It

"Hope is a good thing." I've used this one many times over the years.

Think About It

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If I remember correctly..

Andy kept getting it in the Ass,by "The Sisters"..

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1249178_f520.jpg

Jehovah`s Witness`s keep getting it in the Ass,by the WBT$..

........................... ...OUTLAW

• White Dove
    White Dove

And, it takes an incredible amount of patience and hard work to make that escape a reality.

This is why I worship at the alter of Stephen King. He's brilliant!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." <----- That's what I decided, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkzc983aE0

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

That is one of the best movies!!! Yes! justice and freedom , the human spirit alive!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Read the book, "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption." It's most excellent.

• JeffT
    JeffT

One of my favorite movies. Yes, it is a good analogy to what many of us have been through. I think Brooks, who just couldn't handle life on the outside can stand in for all those that find it easier to stay in a dysfunctional religion.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I think Brooks, who just couldn't handle life on the outside can stand in for all those that find it easier to stay in a dysfunctional religion.

Or the ones who get tossed out by DFing.

And can't handle it on the outside, and being "spiritually dead", so they do what Brooks did.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Jeff and Sphere, great point about Brooks. There are too many Brookses. And I hope there won't be any more of them, someday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit