What Must Be the Case if Christianity is True?

by leavingwt 73 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    But they still do not explain to me the "legalistic" necessity of God having to kill all mankind because of Adam & Eden in the first place, if he really wanted to save them so badly.

No, they don't, I'd make a lousy lawyer, or pharasee, LOL !

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I'm just trying to explain my take on ransom/sacrifice in the legalistic way it has been taught and understood by some.

Not sure if you CAN explain it in a legalistic way or even shoudl try.

Jesus was not a big fan of "legalities" when it came to God and Salvation.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I'm so glad now that I think that the Bible is mostly metaphor. I don't have to take arguments like this literally. Gives me more time to think about important things like playing online games and sex.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I'm so glad now that I think that the Bible is mostly metaphor. I don't have to take arguments like this literally. Gives me more time to think about important things like playing online games and sex.

Damn, I love the way you think !

• tec
    tec

I'm just trying to explain my take on ransom/sacrifice in the legalistic way it has been taught and understood by some.

Not sure if you CAN explain it in a legalistic way or even shoudl try.

Jesus was not a big fan of "legalities" when it came to God and Salvation.

Sorry. Said that wrong, making it unclear. I'll try again.

I'm just trying to explain my take on the legalistic way that the ransom/sacrifice has been taught and understood by some.

I don't think of it as legalistic. I think that is a misunderstanding of Paul's words and God's grace.

Tammy

• The Finger
    The Finger

leavingwt,

"That the highest created being, known as Satan or the Devil,"

Where does it say this in the bible? Honestly I'm not aware of it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Sorry. Said that wrong, making it unclear. I'll try again.
    I'm just trying to explain my take on the legalistic way that the ransom/sacrifice has been taught and understood by some.
    I don't think of it as legalistic. I think that is a misunderstanding of Paul's words and God's grace.
    Tammy

I think that the WT and the JW way of looking at things has really screwed a lot of people and I never really understood how untill I came to this board.

Makes me wonder if I will ever be able to reach my parents and older sister and even if I do, how bad it will be.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Apparently a lot of people don't recognize a good metaphor when they read one.

I think one of the Gospel writers got it...he said Jesus taught by means of "parables" which are interesting fictional stories that teach a moral lesson.

It's one of the best ways to teach anyone anything, to use an entertaining story form that gives people a social format that they can relate to, especially when you don't have any way to take notes...it's more memorable, too.

History has had a lot of notable teachers who used the same technique because it works. Even if what is attributed to Christ is accumulative stories originated by various people, they're still good allegories that teach a principle or moral. There's nothing at all wrong with that. We still value stories like Aesop's fables for the same reason, or fairy tales.

If you happen to believe that Christ was more than that, all the better, I suppose. I would imagine God knows how to teach people a thing or two and the best way to do it.

For me, even if God/Satan is another metaphor (and we have LOTS) for good versus evil, it's valuable. Stories about good versus evil are terrifically popular, they resonate with us very deeply.

That's why people love Star Wars, for heavens' sake. It's just that good vs evil in the universe, who will win, thing that we all struggle with constantly within ourselves. If the God or Christ or whatever you term universal good wins, the good within us can win...we want to hear that. And we always will.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yeah, with the WT, it's all dry legalism.

With Jesus of Nazareth, it was His coming to seek and save His lost human creation.

When He said "It is done," bowed His head, and died, I believe this resonates personally with believers.

I know it does with me.

Syl

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    leavingwt,
    "That the highest created being, known as Satan or the Devil,"
    Where does it say this in the bible? Honestly I'm not aware of it.

I was wondering about that, too. Does anyone know the answer to this? (For those who view Jesus as a creation, I can understand the obvious conflict. For mainstream Christians, Jesus wouldn't be an issue. However, what is the support for this view of Satan? I'm not familiar with this.)

Is Satan generally considered the highest created being?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit