Evidently . . .

by Mad Sweeney 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

This has been a WT buzzword for a long time but has come up in several recent discussions here. So, I just HAD to look it up on the WT Library CD-ROM.

The word "evidently" appears 1,439 times in the Insight books alone. That number is staggering considering that the two-volume set is supposed to be comprised of encyclopedic facts. Instead there are more than fourteen hundred inspired assumptions littering the work.

I found the Watchtower results to be quite interesting, as well. Apparently (there's another WT buzzword - 973 results in Insight) the word "evidently" didn't come into great use until the 1970s. Here is a decade-by-decade search count for the words "evidently" and "apparently":

1950s - 112/172 1960s - 210/287 1970s - 451/257 1980s - 396/334 1990s - 376/299 2000s- 326/263

That is A LOT of grasping going on. One thing is clear from reading the Borg Lit is that when they use the terms "evidently" and "apparently" there is usually NO evidence and the conclusion they pull out of their butts is anything but apparent to a normal person.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Great catch. Thanks!

• startingover
    startingover

Their use of that word is something I discovered early on in my awakening. It would be interesting to see how many times that word is used in other books that have references cited, like maybe CofC.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.jwfiles.com/jw-words.htm

In my comments I try to catch those terms and how deceptive they are.

Buzz Words In Their Literature

This Clearly Shows . . .Obviously . . .
    The Bible plainly says . . .Logically . . .
    Has clearly shown . . .Justifiably . . .
    We have clearly seen . . .Surly this is reasonable . . .
    The evidence shows . . .We might reasonable assume. . .
    The evidence should be clear . . .Most/Many Scholars . . .
    Reasonably, then . . . Surely then . . .
    Thus the facts make clear . . .Truly . . .
    What must one do . . . Apparently...
    Most certainly...Of course...
    Isn't it reasonable to conclude...Possibly...
    Fine examples...Probably...
    Thus, we can see....
  • EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Why don't we post all statements, where they use the phrase 'evidently' aka 'we have no idea what we are talking about'. By the WT, it's 1,839, Awake it's 665, total 4,590 through WT Lib, 2008. "Keep on the watch, for false prophets and false Christs, and here is how you may identify them, by their use of the word, "evidently."

This one is interesting WT 5/15 1951 (they sure blaber on what they don't know) 8 Were the earthly “other sheep” to experience physical healing to human perfection instanter after Armageddon, then for them to receive the divine mandate to marry, multiply and fill the earth with righteous offspring would mean to bring perfect children into the earth. Such children would not need the benefits of Jesus’ ransom sacrifice and the healing work of his kingdom. Of course, there will be no stillborn babies then, nor any death of mothers in childbirth. But after Armageddon children will not be born in human perfection in fulfillment of God’s mandate then. EVIDENTLY what childbearing will then be authorized will cease before the married couples reach human perfection. So their children will also feel the effects of descent from the sinner Adam and will have to exercise faith and avail themselves of God’s redemptive provisions through his King Jesus Christ. Everlasting life is not possible to man except through him. “The gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.”—Rom. 6:23, NW.

"Solomon evidently realized that he had to keep his feelings in check. In effect, he kept asking himself: ‘Is what I am planning to say really true or accurate? "

"We do not know who Archippus was or what his circumstances were, but he had evidently accepted a ministry. If you are a dedicated Christian, you too have accepted a ministry. Are you continuing to watch the ministry in order to fulfill it?"

"Then he turned his attention to the gathering of the remaining prospective members of his Kingdom government so as to complete the number of 144,000. By the mid-1930’s, that task was evidently well along and many of those responding to the preaching work did not have the desire to go to heaven. "

"Hence, “the twelve tribes of Israel,” whom those on the heavenly thrones judge, evidently represent the world of mankind who are outside that royal, priestly class, as pictured by the 12 tribes on Atonement Day."

This interesting, because of the "Angels and Women" or "Seola" book WT promoted in early 1920's, they believed inspired by a fallen angel supposedly by music...............-"The second interesting manner of inspiration was that which accompanied the playing of music. Some may reason that the playing of the harp or musical instrument was in order to quiet and compose the mind of the prophet that he might better receive the impressions of God’s spirit. But EVIDENTLY it was for prophetic illustration, because the harp is symbolically used to represent the means of sounding forth harmoniously, impressively and with more power the message of God. This accompaniment of the harp to prophecy by inspiration is referred to at Psalm 49:3, 4, which reads: “My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding. I will incline mine ear to a parable: I will open my dark saying upon the harp.”

If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black!!!-----"Those who hold that the Ten Commandments still apply and that the other features of the law arrangement which can no longer be carried out were part of the “ceremonial law” which passed away EVIDENTLY hold so tenaciously to the Decalogue because of fear of what would happen if Christians were without that guide or rule. They fail to consider that God’s laws for his servants differ from time to time. The nation of Israel, for instance, was commanded to use carnal weapons and act as God’s executioner, but Christians are specifically told that their weapons are not carnal.—1 Sam. 15:2, 3; 2 Cor. 10:4, 5.
    But the removal of the Decalogue need arouse no fears or apprehensions. At best it was but a negative approach to righteousness. The law of the Christians is a positive one: Love God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength and love your neighbor as yourself. Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Matt. 7:12; 22:37-40) The goats, in the illustration of the sheep and the goats, were sentenced to destruction not because of breaking any of the negative commandments but because of failure to do good to Christ’s brothers. "

"“The flock which the Lord was gathering to himself at the time of this parable was not natural Israel, but spiritual Israel. . . . Hence the view that some have taken that we who are of the Gentiles or ‘other sheep’ mentioned are now being brought into the one fold is not correct. . . . EVIDENTLY these ‘other sheep’ mentioned in this parable are those who will become the Lord’s sheep after the present ‘little flock’ shall have been completed.”

• undercover
    undercover

Evidently, some of you have entirely too much free time on your hands...

• JWoods
    JWoods

Evidently.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

For comparison's sake, the Aid book (1971) has 1391 instances of "evidently" in it and 967 "apparently." That's in 1699 pages; more than one occurance per page.

• undercover
    undercover
    Evidently.

Apparently, you agree...

• JWoods
    JWoods

Many scholars agree...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit