Close Encounters of the JW Kind...

by Jim_TX 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

Jim, your reply wasn't bad. Here's a comeback you can use next time if you feel up to it :

"Ah, yes, Jehovah's Witnesses. The people who have a 100% failure rate of the fulfillment of the Armageddon prophecy for over 130 years. I don't need your brand of doom and gloom. Have a nice day!"

And carry on with what you're doing.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Ha...that used to be me, trying to save people in parking lot. Pathetic!

• cult classic
    cult classic

I like the title of this thread Jim.... lol.

Yeah they are (we were) weirdos. I was in the parking lot on my cell and loading bags in my car when this older "brother" approached me with the mags. I was like "here we go" I was sure he'd recognize me and just say hi but he went on with his presentation. Since he didn't recognize me I just acted like I wasn't interested..... lol

Have you ever noticed how utterly ecstatic the witnesses are when they get someone to agree with them on anything?

witness: "hello. it's a beautiful day isn't it?"

householder: "yes it is. I just love the sunshine."

no matter if anything was placed or not, back in the car group you're recounting how they agreed it was sunny out. "They should really become witnesses they understand how sunny it is today."

• ziddina
    ziddina

Heaven, that's a GREAT response! But unfortunately I usually come up with the smart stuff to reply about 5 hours AFTER the conversation...

Cult Classic - yeah, hilarious!!

The most effective response I ever heard when going door-to-door was the adult [40'ish...] male householder who looked at the awkward little 12-year-old [me...] on his doorstep, and answered, "Those people are using you...." If I hadn't been accompanied by an adult sister who was glaring the man down, I might have learned a LOT more from him, that day...

As it was, he planted some seeds that took root, and helped me get out...

Zid

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The problem with the memorized answer is that my dubs plug in the closest answer they can match to my question. It rarely fits. I usually end up saying something like, "That is an interesting story, and I thank you for sharing it with me, but that is not what I asked you about. Could you please answer my question?"

• moshe
    moshe

JWs do a good job talking to people because the rehearse what they are going to say and how to overcome objections. Unless you are going to work on your anti-WT presentation it would be hard to go toe to toe with them. The best thing to do is just say something that embarrasses them- like, " I'll start reading the WT just as soon as I see you guys do a quick build soup kitchen."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit