Wasted life.

by Heartofaboy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

My parents, now in their mid 60s, have wasted over 45 years in this so-called "truth." They are going at it full bore now, both of them pioneering, as it were. This is the psychology of previous investment. Of course, even a Ponzi scheme seems like a great idea just before it falls apart. Except in the case of the WTS, the only "returns" have been a fantasy all along.

They could both live into their 80s. I bet my mom could live to be 100. I can only imagine how disappointed they will be to have all the things promised to them go unfulfilled. I can only hope that the eventual passing of my parent's generation signals the end of this organization.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

This is the psychology of previous investment.

Absolutely.

And it is another reason the Borg abhors a college education. When you take even the most basic Economics, Psychology, and Sociology classes you have the tools to see that considering sunk costs IS NOT PRACTICAL when making decisions, you see how the mind can be manipulated by relatively mundane, repetitive means, and you learn how social conformity is naturally powerful and is often used as a tool by leaders who wish to control group members.

And you can get all that in your freshman year of college. Keep people too afraid and busy to worry about these "worldly" educational pursuits. Otherwise they might just figure out they're in a cult.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I think I know how your parents feel .I apologized to my kids for raising them as Witnesses.....I felt so bad for them missing out in so much as kids . My oldest son made me feel much better after he told me he was happy being raised the way he was. All three have now left the Watchtower organization ,but none seem to be bitter .They are young and focused on their futures . I think it is us older ones that have more regrets because WE missed out on so much . I think you just have to keep on reminding your parents that you are happy and it is because of them not in spite of them . You are a very fortunate family because you are open ,honest and loving ....what more can any of us ask for ? You sound like a loving family just keep them looking forward enjoying each day that comes . A wasted life is only one that we purposely waste after seeing some fault and never correcting it .

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I'm very touched by what you have said about my family.

Heaven, it made me well up reading your post about you & your mum..........I'm dreading the time my parents are no longer around. Thank you for what you have said.

Also Troubled mind, this is exactly what mum & dad said to us kids, they have so many regrets. We have said to them we are glad they are our parents & that we know they only wanted the best for us. It isn't easy trying to raise a family as JW's so I know they didn't go for the easy option!!

They are dearly loved & it is sad to see age having its effect on them, especially when you consider the hope they held for so long of seeing the end of wars & famine & their boys & girls in the 'New World'.

Hoab

• Gerard
    Gerard

My wife's parents are in the same boat. In their late 70s they have come to face the reality that they both of them will taste death before the Big A comes to town. The change in Generation™®© must have been hard on them, but they do not speak of it. At this point, all the fights and arguments have been done and said, and unconditional love is the best support. My wife could not forgive herself if she broke her hearts and faith once more before they die.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

That's so true Gerard, my parents ask me to print off anything from this forum that shows they are not alone in their feelings, all the comments so far will encourage them I'm sure.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Heartofaboy

I know where you're coming from. My grandmother is in her 80s - the "truth" is all she's got and I'm not going to burst her bubble even though she can see that all is not well in the organization.

When you're almost at the end of your life, the last thing you need is a loss of faith and hope, no matter how corrupt the religion is.

Better to leave things as they are unless they are really searching for answers.

Truthseeker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit