Japanese Sumo Wrestling, Good Or Bad?

by Scott77 17 Replies latest social physical

• Scott77
    Scott77

I hate to be a sports critic but nevertheless, I find this kind of wrestling as going far on the top. I have great respect for other country's culture but the question is: How far should we tolerant extremist sport that glorify pain and suffering as a price of achievement? What is your reactions? Comes on, it will not hurt.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

This is a joke, right?

Judge Dread

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

There is hurt and potential injury in almost all sports. Some sports are worse than others, but are we the GB?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Sumo is nothing comapred to the martial art that it is derived from, sumai.

Martial sports are violent sports, thatis what they are, period.

Don't like violence, don't watch it.

Enough people stop watching they will end.

• Scott77
    Scott77

I do not want to creat an impression that this is a doctored photo or something made up as a joke. I have took the liberty to post the source of the link where I got it. The event in the photo took place last sunday on May 9, 2010.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37055974/ns/sports-the_week_in_sports_pictures/displaymode/1247/beginSlide/1/

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Scott,

Not sure what your point is in rgeards to the pic, it caught what seems like an "inner thigh reaping" throw in mid air, very well caught.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi PSacramento ,

Judge Dread thought my posting was a joke. I believe his thinking is incorrect. Right, very well caught. They two giant wrestlers might have been trying to avoid failing off by either putting their things upward in case of unexpected landing. My explanation might be incorrect. I hope a Japanese ExJW on this site will help clarify it much better than me. You Japanese guys, are you around on this site?

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

I don't get it either.

It's not extremist.

It's a centuries old sport where one fat guy tries to push another fat guy out of a circle.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

It seems to be the 'end" of a throw where one wrestler uses his leg to "reap" the inner thigh of the other wrestlers leg, in Judo it is called an "uchi mata".

Typically, NOTH legs tend to be up in the air as the throw is done anone wrestler will land on his back and the other on his side.

Since they can only grab the "waist", the throw is a bit more "wild" then in judo where the upper body is controlled better because of the Judo Gi ( jacket).

• upnorth
    upnorth

I assume you have not watched Austin Powers in Goldmember.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit