So, Who Really DOES Write the WT? ( A LONG But Worthy Post)

by AGuest 23 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

To the Household of God, Israel, and those who go with... may you have peace!

As some of you may know, I have recounted on a couple/few occasions my discussion in 1996 with Carey Barber as to who writes and/or approves the WT magazine. Per Mr. Barber, "The GB hasn't had anything to do with the WT since 1972." He said that this was because the GB had "turned things over to [six] committees" in anticipation of 1975. He said that "the Writing Department [was] responsible for the WT," which statement I shared with you here. There are/were some, however, who that while, yes, perhaps the GB doesn't actually write the articles anymore, they certainly "oversee" them, indeed approve them; however, that is not how Mr. Barber related it to me.

A recent post which brought out statements made by the WTBTS in the July 15, 2010, WT (page 22-23) as to how "deep things were to be revealed during the time of the end," have caused me to visit this matter again. The articles states that "The very prophecy Daniel recorded was 'sealed up' until that time" and then goes on to ask... and answer... an intriguing question. By means of holy spirit, which spirit I received from our Lord, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH, the Son and Christ of the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies, which Son is the Holy One of Israel and the Holy Spirit, I am directed to respond to that that question... and its answers... as both/all are false. Below, I share the truth of this matter with you, as directed by my Lord.

After stating that Daniel's prophecy was sealed until the time of the end, the WT article asks:

"How and through whom would the spirit search into these deep things?"

The first problem is that the question gives the impression that it is the Holy Spirit that searches into deep things, which is absolutely NOT the case: the Holy Spirit KNOWS all such things... and is the One that leads the Body of Christ into "all truth" about such things. The holy spirit ["oil of exulatation"] that ANOINTS that Body, however, and ITS guidance... is also not limited to a small group with the total... or even certain members of the group. The holy spirit of God... which is given to EACH member of the Body... allows EACH member to "search" into... and understand... these deep things. Just as John wrote:

"These things I write YOU about those who are trying to mislead YOU. And as for YOU, the anointing that YOU received from him remains in YOU, and YOU do not need anyone to be teaching YOU; but, as the anointing from him is teaching YOU about all things, and is true and is no lie, and just as it has taught YOU, remain in union with him. So now, little children, remain in union with him, that when he is made manifest we may have freeness of speech and not be shamed away from him at his presence." 1 John 2:26-28

As you can see, John answered the question, completely and fully, and did so because then, just as NOW... there are not only those who ARE trying to mislead the Body (which was prophesied by our Lord as recorded at Matthew 24:24)... BUT some of "us" who weren't/aren't sure WHO to listen to... and HOW. WHO, of course... is Christ (Matthew 17:5; John 10:27). HOW... is through the anointing, as John states.

The Spirit directs me to continue, however, because the WTBTS' answer to their misleading question is even more misleading. They write:

"When the time comes to clarify a spiritual matter in our day, holy spirit helps responsible representatives of "the faithful and discreet slave" at world headquarters to discern deep truths that were not previously understood."

If you notice, dear ones, the statements does not say "helps anointed ones..." which would fulfill John's statement. Nor does it say, "helps the Governing Body." No, it says exactly what Mr. Barber stated to me, that "the Writing Department is responsible." How so? I wish to share with you certain statements published in the WTBTS' "Branch Manual," which is available online thanks to Barbara Andersen.

The following is an excerpt from Chapter 1 of that Manual (which was revised in February 2003). Note, underlines and italics represent the emphasis that my Lord directed me to make:

"1. GOVERNING BODY: The Governing Body is made up of brothers who are anointed servants of Jehovah God. They act as representatives of the "faithful and discreet slave" classwhich has the responsibility for giving direction and impetus to the Kingdom work. (Matt. 24:45) While the Governing Body delegates certain details or responsibilities to committees made up of its own members, or committees made up of other dedicated servants of God, or to instruments such as corporations and legal agencies, it always takes the lead for the smooth functioning of the organization and the unity of all of God's people. As the Governing Body, it has the prerogative to use its discretion and look into any matters it deems necessary to examine with regard to the Kingdom work. To oversee various aspects of the work, committees have been established as follows..."

Per the Manual, those Committees are:

1. Chairman's Committee (which is discussed in 4 pretty substantial paragraphs)

2. Personnel Committee (which is discussed in 8 pretty substantial paragraphs)

3. Publishing Committee (which is discussed in 8 pretty substantial paragraphs)

4. Service Committee (which is discussed in 3 pretty substantial paragraphs)

5. Teaching Committee (which is discussed in 5 pretty substantial paragraphs)

6. Writing Committee (which, interestingly, is discussed 3 paragraphs, 2 of which are VERY BRIEF and the other not even "subtantial")

There are also Branch Committees (related in 4 VERY substantial paragraphs), but these apparently aren't part of the six Mr. Barber spoke about (or, perhaps he missed one).

About the Writing Committee, the Manual states:

"32. WRITING COMMITTEE: This committee supervises putting the spiritual food into written form for publication and distribution to our brothers and the public in general.

33.The publications that this committee supervises include the Watchtower and Awake! magazines, all bound books, booklets, pamphlets, tracts, final copy for Our Kingdom Ministry, handbills, Bibles, or any revisions of these. It responds to questions about the meaning of certain scriptures and points presented in the publications, also questions about doctrines or morals that do not deal with or related to specific problems in the congregations, or the standing of persons in the congregations. It approves the scripts for dramas, and talk outlines and manuscripts. This includes unique branch materials such as tour brochures, public relations brochures and tracts, and dedication brochures."

Please note, the sister that was with me asked Mr. Barber if the committees where made up of "anointed brothers." He response was "not necessarily." I cannot recall if Mr. Barber said, specifically, that the Writing Department did not... but according to my Lord, it does not. Thus, I am directed by the Holy Spirit to say to you that the 7/15/10 WT's statement that "holy spirit helps responsible representatives of 'the faithful and discreet slave' is the WTBTS' official statement that the GB is NOT these "representatives." We also know this because Section 1 of Chapter 1 of the Branch Manual states:

"The Governing Body is made up of brothers who are anointed servants of Jehovah God. They act as representatives of the "faithful and discreet slave"..."

However, if THEY were the same as such "responsible representatives" the statement would have been "holy spirits helps THE GOVERNING BODY"... to discern deep truths that were not previously understood." But what does the article say about the GB? After making reference to these "responsible representatives," the article goes on to state:

"The Governing Body as a whole considers adjusted explanations."

So, per the article, "responsible representatives" of the FDS are "helped" by holy spirit... and THEN the GB "considers" it... IF it is an adjustment of previous understanding. Do you see, dear ones? First, non-GB get the "help"... and, if it changes doctrine, the GB DECIDES whether it will be published or not. If it is NOT an adjustment to current doctrine, but may even perhaps be "new light"... the GB DOES NOT "CONSIDER" IT, but it is left up to such "representatives."

That isn't all, however. What are the "deep truths" that holy spirit "helps" such responsible representatives "discern"? It would be the information that is to BE published in the WT. Now, logic would say that such "representatives" are also the ones who WRITE such information. But is that the case? Do these get "help" from holy spirit and then write about that "help"... about what they "discern"? A review of Chapter 24 of the Branch Manual is very enlightening and will answer that question. Please note that the Chapter is pretty lengthy and so I will not quote all of it, but just the pertinent... and thus, interesting... parts. You can read the entire manual yourself, thanks to dear Barbara, here:

http://www.watchtower.cc/branch_organization_manual_bo-e.pdf

For the scope of this post, however, the Manual states, in pertinent sections, under the title, "Writing Articles for "The Watchtower" and "Awake!":

"1. WRITING DESKS: The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses has approved of setting up Writing Desks on a permanent basis in a number of the branch offices. The objective of the arrangement is: (1) to produce articles that are better adapted to the needs of the world field, and to avoid the "American" flavor that results when most articles are produced in the United States; (2) to include in our journals articles that are most helpful to Christians living under circumstances in various parts of the world, not just those conditions found in the United States; (3) to achieve a redistribution of the writing load; (4) to find additional individuals who are qualified to writeand thus give greater diversity to the style of writing in our magazines, while also achieving a broader interest in our publications. (Note, the interest to be achieved is NOT in God and/or Christ... but in the WTBTS publications!)

2. The overseer of the Writing Desk in the larger branches that have been asked to set up such desks will be responsible to supply finished copy to the Writing Department according to the schedule made by the Assignment Desk at Brooklyn. Where the assignment is on a part-time basis, he will give it priority over other things when that is necessary. At times these branch representatives of the Writing Department may get in touch with other branches, requesting certain information or special facts not available elsewhere. If this occurs, carbon copies of all such correspondence between branches should be sent to the Writing Department in Brooklyn. Branches that have not been asked to set up a Writing Desk are encouraged to contribute written copy for The Watchtower and Awake! as they have opportunity. In branches where there is such a desk the brother caring for this work, as the branch representative of the Writing Department in Brooklyn, is considered a reporter for Awake! In branches where no Writing Desk has been set up, the Branch Committee coordinator generally is an Awake! reporter. If you have someone who is particularly qualified to write, we would encourage you to try to send in at least one article a year, or more if you are able. If there is no one in your branch territory who has writing ability, you should at least keep alert to what is happening in your part of the world. When an event occurs that would be of interest to your brothers and others in other countries, for example, if an earthquake or other calamity should strike, then you should be quick to tell us about it. If nothing more, you can promptly send us news clippings and your report on such matters.

4. Those used as writers must be dedicated, baptized brothers or sisters in good standing with their local congregations and who have writing ability. They should be exemplary, modest, not inclined to talk loosely to others about their writing activity. Sisters may be found to be especially talented in writing articles of interest to women. However, they should not be used to prepare articles that are basically an exposition of Scripture. Whenever anyone is given an assignment to write an article for The Watchtower or Awake!, that person should be given a copy of the memorandum "Writing for Our Journals." It is not necessary that the person read the Standards Manual if that is available locally. However, the one in the branch responsible for sending in the article should be well acquainted with this publication and follow its rules when editing material submitted. This will do much to assure that articles will be usable for publication."

The Chapter goes on to relate how material is to be prepared, making clear that "sisters" cannot be used to write articles that "deal with spiritual matters." However, evidently they are not restricted from writing anything else:

5. PREPARING MATERIAL: The subjects on which articles may be written are quite varied. Some articles will deal with spiritual matters, and these should be written by brothers. Awake! articles may be on such subjects as commerce, economics, government, national customs, science, religion, geography, various occupations, history, social science, and natural history. Since the articles will be read by people in many lands, the subjects and titles should have broad appeal. They do not have to be about the country where the writer is located, although they may often beneficially contain material that reflects the relationship of that country to the subject. This can be accomplished by doing research in books and periodicals published in that land and by mentioning places and customs peculiar to that country, if it is appropriate to do so. There may be other more resourceful ways to achieve this goal.

It then discusses topics such as "Time in which to do the work" and "Article Previews." The latter is most interesting as it indicates that while "in most cases" articles are subject to preview this is NOT for the purposes of review as to TRUTH and accuracy of the CONTENT... but to "act as a check preventing two branches from preparing articles on the same subject":

7. Article previews should be submitted in most cases before an article is written. In a branch having a permanent Writing Desk, the responsible brother will be expected to work closely with the Writing Department in Brooklyn. In most cases he will submit his suggestions for articles to Brooklyn for approval before proceeding with the actual writing of the articles. This will act as a check preventing two branches from preparing articles on the same subject. If ideas for articles are submitted by other individuals in the country, the representative of the Writing Department can attach his own notes to such an article preview when sending it to Brooklyn. The Brooklyn Writing Department may have other suggestions to offer as to what should be incorporated in the article. These article previews should bear the name of the prospective writer as well as the suggested title. They should be dated and should bear the signature of the Writing Desk representative and of the Branch Committee coordinator. Generally it is preferred that these previews be in outline form, complete with introduction, body and conclusion. Of course, it is understood that if the article is approved, the writer may make some adjustments in the outline as he works on the subject.

The article discusses topics such as "field experiences and life stories," and THEN includes a section that addresses the fact that there might be articles that a writer, who most likely is NOT "anointed"... "would like to write"... or that "feel would be of valueto readers of The Watchtower and Awake!" It even discusses what to do if a writer has subject that the Writing Desk or Branch "can't handle" - in such a case, the writer can:

"... feel free to submit outlines for such a semi-special issue and perhaps it can be worked out with cooperation from Writing Desks in other branches. Also, there may be topics or questions that could be handled in Scriptural articles, though you may not have anyone in your branch territory who is in position to prepare such material. The Writing Department in Brooklyn would be pleased to receive your suggestions."

One of the most interesting Sections (14) states:

"14. When an article is sent to the Writing Department in Brooklyn it must be accurate in every detail. Basically, that responsibility rests with the writer. We should use as writers only individuals whom we know will do dependable research and present the facts carefully. However, when the Branch Committee coordinator or the branch representative of the Writing Department reads an article and sees anything at all in it that raises a question, this point should be checked with the original writer, or it should be looked up to make sure that what is said is absolutely right. If the point is in error, an appropriate correction should be made."

What, though, do such writers "dependably research"? What "facts" must they "carefully" present? How does the Branch Committee coordinator or representative "look up" the information? As Mr. Barber stated to me, how they do it is "in the video." Per that documentary, they "research" previous WT publications first, and perhaps others that that organization relies upon... regardless of whether they are accurate or not (for example, McClintock's and Strong's Encyclopedia... which does contain errors - I know because I have the complete set and it was written in the 1800's...).

But the final truth of this matter is that, as you can see, there is absolutely NOTHING indicating that (1) the GB writes the WT, (2) a writer even needs to be "anointed", (3) the writing is reviewed/approved by anyone who IS "anointed"... or even a member of the GB, or (4) that the Holy Spirit... or holy spirit... has ANYTHING to do with what is written... or published. As the Manual indicates, the GB, which is the only group that the Manual indicates IS "anointed" (see Chapter 1, Section 1)... has delegated these tasks to others... who, for the most part, are NOT "anointed." Rather, they are, as Mr. Barber called them... and many of you may recall from a certain WT (I cannot remembers which)... the "JOSHUA Class" (i.e., NON-appointed/anointed) who replaced the "Moses" Class... because the latter was SUPPOSED to be going to heaven in 1975.

Again, I realize that this post is quite long, and I apologize for that. However, as I related to you above, I have been directed to share this information, not necessarily because YOU believe the GB writes/oversees/approves what is published in the WT... but so that should you have reason to discuss this matter with someone who DOES believe that... you will know how to respond... and where to find the information.

As always, I bid you peace... and ears to HEAR... these things... and when the Spirit and the Bride call YOU to:

"Come! Take life's water... which is the holy spirit of JAH [of Armies], the MOST Holy One of Israel (Psalm 68:4)... which water/spirit is poured out from the innermost parts of His Son and Christ, the HOLY One of Israel and Holy Spirit, and my Lord, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH... through whom ALL most go... to receive such water/spirit... FREE!"

Your servant and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

And there was I all those years convinced that the WT content was definitely written by or approved totally by the governing body of anointed men.

Loz x

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks again dear Shelby,

As dear Loz. has said above, all of us when in, were under the impression that at least the GB perused and approved the material to be published.

That is what they imply, but as you have ably shown, this is not true, and the method that is used does not leave room BY THEIR idea of the FDS for Holy Spirit to work on the material !

Amazing.

Love,

Wobble

• moshe
    moshe

The WT legal Department does give disclosure to JW's, but they never seem to want to accept the fact that they are worshiping a man-made religious publishing company. I think when they dropped the "1914 box" from the inside cover of the Awake, was when the legal started giving JW's "legal disclosure", just who runs the show and who writes the WT publications.

• blondie
    blondie

Barbara Anderson worked in that area and some of her comments on JWN and in Google might help. I can't fine search it but you might find it helpful.

http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/

http://www.freeminds.org/blogs/musings-of-a-watchtower-insider/reminiscing-about-watch-towers-writing-department.html

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Thank you Shelby for relaying this information.

My question is: does it really matter whether the Watchtower is written by a committee member or a GB member or anyone else if the entire organization is fraudulent? I don't believe ANY of them represent Jehovah or have the direction of Holy Spirit.

My second question is: although the GB claims authority over the entire organization, what exactly is their legal authority? If one of the corporation presidents and board of directors decides to blaze their own path one day, does the GB have any legal recourse?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, Shelby!

This just confirms what I suspected.

Sylvia

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good morning Shelby!!..

Great thread!

The Annointed are just another Bait and Switch for the WBT$..

The Annointed should be doing the Writing but..

The WBT$ replaced them with a guy who used to be a Plumber..

When you Write for the WBT$..

"Evidently"..

The only Credentials you need,is a Crack in your Ass..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• justmom
    justmom

Sooooo

Thats another reason why we've always been told to say, "The Watchtowers NOT inspired."

If annointed folks were writing the Watchtower, they might be able to get away with saying it's inspired.

But interesting...it's ALWAYS been spiritual food at the proper time! And don't question it.

So its safe to say its UNINSPIRED EXPRESSIONS (unclean) like frogs coming out of the mouth of the dragon in Revelation.

Who da thunk!

I pity them!

"Get out of her, my people if you do not want to share with her in her sins and receive part of her plagues."

I don't know bout you all but I ran and have NEVER looked back!

Love ya

justmom (Kim)

• donuthole
    donuthole

My memory might be a little foggy but didnt' the Proclaimers video show the GB commenting on the minutia of the magazines like the selecting the cover? ("The picture of the delcious looking red apple ...")

I'm particular interested about who originates "new light". The newer WT are making it very clear that this does not come from the anointed. I know in the past that it was understood (if maybe not entirely accurate) that the anointed around the world write into the Society was "new light". Does the average member of the writing comittee have personal liberty to suggest changes? It seems that changes in the teachings in the literature trail after members of the Governing Body have already presented this in the semi-private speaking circuit (Gilead grad, annual meeting, special speaking engagements.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit