Where did England disappear to?

by dorayakii 34 Replies latest social current

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Fair point Freedom Fighter. I have known a number of Scots over the years and they always treated me well depite what we did to their industry and their queen.

I will tell my builders to stop work on Hadrian's Wall immediately.

The real threat to English identity comes from our gradual integration with Europe. We are already subject to the dictates of Brussels. But with millions of English moving to Europe and Europeans coming here, it matters less and less.

In truth I am not really a political animal - just an animal

• llbh
    llbh

Who is our largest partner? - the EU. Where do a large amount of Brits go to for their holidays, Europe. The largest airline in the UK ( registered in Eire btw) is Ryanair, and transports many Brits to Europe.

We should without doubt be far more integrated in Europe for a number of reasons.

1. They are our largest trading partners by far, and as such we do have to do business with them on their terms, the more we involve ourselves with them the more influence we have.

2. Currency - The price we pay for being outside the Euro is increased volatility. Last time I was in an EU country the pound was worth 1.5 Euros, now it is parity and will fall further. I also remember $6 US to the pound - 35 years ago. What effect does this have?, when you buy your fruit and vegetables, as I did this morning, a large amount comes from Europe, so we pay more as the pound depreciates.

3. Legal rights. - Contrary to the popular press our rights have been enhanced by Europe, not diminished. Two examples , The ECHR increased the rights of bank customers recently. Women now receive enhanced rights due to Europe.

Do I feel English? yes very much so and register myself on all forms.

We are part of world which is increasingly integrated , The EU as such is an entity which has sufficient economic mass to act as a buttress to the less welcome corollaries of this.

Blondie, I think you will find that when most people refer to Americans, they mean US citizens usually.

UKIP, The BNP ( remember them ), et al yearn for times passed .

David

• blondie
    blondie

llbh, then why not say it. It pretty much kicks Canada and Mexico off the continent. It is incorrect just as British was not correct when only the English were meant. Look at the first post and see how that incorrect usage and assumption was addressed.

I once heard an American celebrity, when talking about the movie "Braveheart", say: "The Scottish were long oppressed by the British", without batting an eyelid! The Scottish ARE British! The Kingdom of Great Britain founded in 1707 was a union of England and Scotland.

• llbh
    llbh

Blondie, all the people I have ever heard or met from the USA refer themselves to as Americans, so I/ we follow their lead and predilection. I guess the reason for that is the title - USA, which does not refer to the rest of continental America.

I did note that in the initial post there were a few inaccurate statements, one being that England is the oldest nation state in Europe, Greece I think could be argued to be such. And by Greece I mean Greece in its present boundaries.

Another is the degree of influence and recognition that Scotland and Wales has in the EU, other than electing MEPs they receive little influence, it is The UK as whole that exerts power and has influence.

David

• tec
    tec

Well, I for one, never understood when to call someone English and when to call them British. Happy for the explanation.

Tammy

• St George of England
    St George of England
    You have conveniently missed the point I was making about Scotland's claim to independence when it suits them to be Scottish and being a part of Britain when it benefits them.

Can't understand why the Scottish want independence anyway, most of them live in here England! Even news readers and voice overs all seem to be Bill Paxton 'och the noo' types.

As for an English National Anthem, see www.anthem4england.co.uk We really need to push St George but not in the stlye of Elgar or the likes, more a 'Rocking St George'; perhaps we should ask Mick & Keith to knock something up!

George

• llbh
    llbh

Interestingly St George was probably Turkish.

David

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Interestingly St George was probably Turkish.

After all these years I'm sure we can overlook that small mis-demeanour!

George

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

St. George - some points to consider: The SNP did poorly in the recent election, based on this there is no real ground swell for independance. Alex Salmond has been stalling the proposed referendum because he knows that public opinion does not support it. This means that any generalised assumption that Scotland wants independance is not supported by evidence.

There has also been substantial English migration into Scotland. This is particularly evident in the North of Scotland where those selling their houses in the South East can have huge property purchasing power. I believe that the media tag for them is 'white settlers.' In my line of work I have many English colleagues, and to be perfectly honest it's not something I give much thought to.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    All that would never have happened had Englang remained a French colony

My history is not good so perhaps you could tell me WHEN was England ever a French colony?????

As I recall, NELSON - ONE, BONAPART - NONE

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit