Is anyone here a Mensch? Then tell us who it is.

by moshe 11 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

It's great being an ex-JW- and out in the open, living YOUR life YOUR way. Hiding under a rock is for snakes , toads, and other sundry slithery creatures of the night. Nobody remembers a JW, because they don't contribute back to society and they say nothing of value, either.

Here is an interesting article about being a Mensch from the guykawasaki blog.

How to Be a Mensch

I have a theory (as opposed to a dream) that Heaven is a three-class Boeing 777. You can sit in a narrow seat that doesn't recline and eat chicken-like substances next to a screaming baby in coach class. Or, you can sit in a slightly wider seat that reclines slightly more and eat a beef-like substance in business class.

But The Goal is to spend eternity in first class--specifically Singapore Airlines first class. Here your seat reclines to a completely flat position, and there's a power outlet, personal video player, wireless access to the Internet, and noise-cancelling headphones. There are also chefs, not microwave ovens.

You cannot buy your way into first class; nor can you use frequent flyer miles. The only way to earn an upgrade is to be a mensch. Leo Rosten, the Yiddish maven and author of The Joys of Yiddish, defines mensch this way:

Someone to admire and emulate, someone of noble character. The key to being "a real mensch" is nothing less than character, rectitude, dignity, a sense of what is right, responsible, decorous.
    Here is my humble attempt to help you achieve menschdom.

Help people who cannot help you. A mensch helps people who cannot ever return the favor. He doesn't care if the recipient is rich, famous, or powerful. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't help rich, famous, or powerful people (indeed, they may need the most help), but you shouldn't help only rich, famous, and powerful people.
    Help without the expectation of return. A mensch helps people without the expectation of return--at least in this life. What's the payoff? Not that there has to be a payoff, but the payoff is the pure satisfaction of helping others. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Help many people. Menschdom is a numbers game: you should help many people, so you don't hide your generosity under a bushel. (Of course, not even a mensch can help everyone. To try to do so would mean failing to help anyone.)
    Do the right thing the right way. A mensch always does the right thing the right way. She would never cop an attitude like, "We're not as bad as Enron." There is a bright, clear line between right and wrong, and a mensch never crosses that line.
    Pay back society. A mensch realizes that he's blessed. For example, entrepreneurs are blessed with vision and passion plus the ability to recruit, raise money, and change the world. These blessings come with the obligation to pay back society. The baseline is that we owe something to society--we're not a doing a favor by paying back society.

Read more: http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2006/02/how_to_be_a_men.html#ixzz0nD0pFAbo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see many posters here on JWN who are paying back to society. I say thank you for coming here and showing us a different, and we hope, a better way to live than the false one served up at the KH.

Thank you Lady Lee for being my Menschette- you are a keeper

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey
    Dude...you just described what it's like to be Christian..... You don't have to be a Mensch, just be Christlike.
  • mindmelda
    mindmelda

I've spent most of my life taking care of other people...the mentally disabled, underprivileged and physically disabled kids, the elderly, the dying, babies...even animals.

I simply can't think of anything more meaningful to do. It's actually kind of selfish in a way...it makes me feel good to do what I get paid for! Pretty cool deal. I'm now working on going back to school so I can extend that.

I'm going from CNA to full fledged nursing and also finishing getting a degree in psychology and counseling, something I started but didn't finish a while back.

I'm also proud to say that in 34 years of being a nominal Witness...I never once converted anyone. Now, that's something to REALLY be proud of...LOL

• bluecanary
    bluecanary
    Dude...you just described what it's like to be Christian..... You don't have to be a Mensch, just be Christlike.

He just described Jewish ideals. If the description of a mensch is the same as being Christlike, why would it matter which religion you follow? Why is your term for it superior to his?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    A mensch helps people without the expectation of return

.... so they are not like Christians at all. The religionist's payoff is a ticket to their version of Paradise.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

What the hell is a mensch?

• moshe
    moshe

Mensch is a yiddish word and , being called that is preferred to a meshuggener. I remember a scene in the Lion King children's movie where Timon's uncle exclaims- what are are you, a meshuggeneh? -ie, crazy person. Those Jews in Hollywood slip that stuff into the scripts all the time. I don't think Christians have an all encompassing word like mensch, but correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Glossary/Yiddish_Words/yiddish_words.html

Black sheep, you are right- Jews for the most part have no expectation of a life after death. The Hebrew Bible's "hopes" are still just that for Jews, hopes for a life after death. Their family is their reward and they work to make sure their future is secure- Well, except for Bernie Madoff- he was an embarrassment to Jews.

• snowbird
    snowbird

From theartofthemensch.com:

A person is a mensch because he simply makes others feel good.

There are quite a few on this board who meet the above criterion.

I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone by naming names, but they know who they are.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

"If", a Mensch Poem

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you

But make allowance for their doubting too,

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream–and not make dreams your master,

If you can think–and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build ‘em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breath a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with kings–nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;

If all men count with you, but none too much,

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,

And–which is more–you’ll be a Man, my son!

• snowbird
    snowbird

When my college-educated, buppie, self-aggrandizing JW nephew was four, he recited this poem at a pre-K graduation ceremony.

I don't think there was a dry eye in the building.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit