The Truman Show, a movie that JW's must hate.

by moshe 17 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

The Truman show is on TBS tonight and I know, it's been mentioned before here, but it has to be a movie that gives JW's the creeps. JW's know something is not right in the WT fantasy land, but until they have that epiphany, that the WT has lied to them, the JW is just left with a niggly feeling of "something is just not right" in the back of their mind. Now when Jim Carrey- Truman Burbank- figures it out and becomes self aware of the lie, everyone around him tries to redirect his focus away from his epiphany , then convince him he is the only one who see's a problem.

Oh, Truman you know you can't drive over water (leave the truth/KH) , let's go home (the KH/JW org) where you'll be safe. ( from all those worldly people).

• moshe
    moshe

Well, five more minutes and he's a free man! YeeeHaaa

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I just watched that movie last week. Strangely enough, when I was a teenager and still a JW, I really loved that movie, and my parents got it for me as a gift. It was my very first DVD, in fact.

My parent's no-doubt interpret the movie such that Satan's wicked world is the facade - and the JW's were the only ones "awake enough" to notice and escape it.

- Lime

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I liked that movie but never made a connection. I don't think we see these things unless we are looking.

• MarkedFragile
    MarkedFragile

Great movie! I've seen it three times now. The first time I saw it, the people who showed it to me (JWs of course) interpreted it sort of the same as "HintofLime's" parents -- that we are protected from Satan's world, and the demons can manipulate our actions and encourage us to do wrong. Now, I totally see it differently. Truman realized there was a problem and he got out. Very metaphorical movie!

• moshe
    moshe

I would like to hear more opinions about what JW's thought when they saw this movie.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I have the movie, but never watched it, might do that this weekend

• carla
    carla

We watched it after mine joined up, he made no connection. I wish 1984 was available.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't know what happened with 1984 and Netflix. I could swear that I rented it several years ago but now it is unavailable.

• sir82
    sir82

Most JWs would not make the connection that it applied to them.

Heck, most JWs would probably say something like "That Truman is just like someone trapped in the Catholic church - he can't see it's all fake. The JWs are the ones trying to get him to escape."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit