Any Linux people here?

by gubberningbody 11 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I'm relatively new to using it, but I really like the YUM installer. I even like the name.

I can say "YUM install blah.rpm" and everything just works!

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

apt -get no

• bohm
    bohm

I have been using linux from the redhat 6.1 days. I currently administer a linux server and use linux for development. Recently, though, i have begun to use vista more because linux has some issues with powermanagement on my new laptop :-(.

I have heard Yum is really neat - be carefull around distrubution upgrades (debian is the only varient of linux which has ever done that smoothly for me) and when installing 3rd party packages though. Also, if you are using gnome, i would recommend giving kde a try.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I was quite adept at Ubuntu last year. And Ubuntu server as well. Ran it as my main OS for about six months.

• moshe
    moshe

I fooled around with Linux for a few years and I even figured out how to intall websites on a linux server.I had a website running PHP Nuke for awhile, then several message boards, the a Serendipity blog for my daughter The test for a Linux OS is, does it recognize my wifi adapter and then can I connect to my wifi network at home? Linux is getting better on that score. I am waiting to see how this new Goggle Chrome OS plays out later this year.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The first Linux OS I installed was Red Hat many years ago. I played with it, but eventually got frustrated with the way things are done in a Unix type OS. I'm not the geek I used to be in High School. The last distro I tried was Puppy because I needed to boot from a CD. Recently, I was curious about Ubuntu, but not enough to try it out. For now, I'm sticking with XP because it does everything I need in an OS.

shutdown -h now

• designs
    designs

Annie Lennox!.............I love Annie Lennox

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

I haven't read Charles Schultz since I was about 10 years old.

Judge Dread

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Well in case you want to play around without making any commitment, it's easy....

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_player/3_0

Download the player free.

Then pick an os, any os

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/cat/508

I'm using the Fedora12 vm right now while I do some hands on work, but there's a lot of distros I'm going to try.

You can pretty much do what you want with these prebuilts...

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Never used yum. Always apt-get. We have a really awesome crowd on this site.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit