JW Magistrate?

by GromitSK 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I friend of mine told me today that her son has applied to become a magistrate (in the UK). Magistrates have to swear two oaths: an oath of allegiance and a judicial oath but apparently he has sought permission and has been told this is ok. Is that right?

see below for the required format:

Oath of allegiance

“I, _________ , do swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her heirs and successors, according to law. ”

Judicial oath

“I, _________ , do swear by Almighty God that I will well and truly serve our Sovereign Lady Queen Elizabeth the Second in the office of ________ , and I will do right to all manner of people after the laws and usages of this realm, without fear or favour, affection or ill will. "

• JWoods
    JWoods

Maybe this is approved in the U.K. but not in Malawi?

• snowbird
    snowbird

JWoods!!!

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I had to swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen when I worked in the HM Inspector of Taxes...I'd left by the time I became a witness so it didnt affect me but many JWs worked there and noone saw anything wrong with it...double standards????

Loz x

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I had to swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen when I worked in the HM Inspector of Taxes...I'd left by the time I became a witness so it didnt affect me but many JWs worked there and noone saw anything wrong with it...double standards????

Loz x

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Loz x

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Ooops sorry!!

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Interesting. No involvement in the state but swearing an oath to the head of state and sitting in judgement is ok lol

• St George of England
    St George of England

OK to be a Magistrate but NOT OK to sit on the jury!

Strange

George

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

There is a loophole that allows JWs to take certain "loyalty oaths." This was in a QFR in the 1970s, I believe. This was necessary because--in the U.S. anyway--you had to sign an oath of allegiance in order to get a passport.

Poster Marvin Shlmer did a nice write-up on the passport hypocrisy a couple years ago, and Barbara Anderson posted it on her site. See http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/downloads/2008_Jehovahs_Witnesses_and_National_Oaths_of_Allegiance.pdf.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit