JW views on Mental Health & Counseling

by Confuzzled 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Slayerbard
    Slayerbard

When I was sucidal I saw a therapist. But I was told to keep it hush, hush so no one in the congregation new about it.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

My ex and I went in for couples couseling for eight years.

We knew better then to tell any dub friends about it.

Better to don't ask, don't tell.

BTW, a couselor telling a JW, that they are in a cult, will mean exactly jack shit to a dub.

No, I take that back, they will see it as persecution and love it

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

http://www2.bviplatinum.com/news.php?module=news&page=Article&articleID=1272982261

This was an interesting link. And I found quite surprising and a sign of somehow opening up a bit to the outside world.

I gues this might end up being a one page article in Awake ;-)

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

I know a lot of Witnesses who are on antipsychotics or had taken in the past.Dunno why this happens BUT some have mental problems indeed.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I saw a psychologist after being abused by a JW...and I was told by my parents to keep it quiet and by the elders, I was chastised - telling me that instead of therapy, I needed to place FULL reliance in Jehovah to get myself together?! When I spoke to them mos later, I mentioned therapy, and they AGAIN threw it in my face....

It's better to just GET the help you need and DO what you gotta do.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I know at least one JW who went to counseling but held back on information so that they didn't give God's organization a bad name. I suspect that this pretty much puts a damper on the effectiveness of the whole counseling session.

BINGO! That is exactly what my parents TOLD me to do...I was to NEVER mention Jehovah's org because it brings reproach and makes God look BAD! In reality, it's all about 'secret keeping' and it's wrong. Open and Honest communication is the key to healing and solving problems.

• BackRoomBilly
    BackRoomBilly

XPETERX - I know a lot of Witnesses who are on antipsychotics or had taken in the past.Dunno why this happens BUT some have mental problems indeed.

Dude... Are you serious, You "Dunno why this happens"?

How about the fact that it is an abusive, self serving mind control cult that rips families apart, forces parents to watch children die. Do you think that might have anything to do with why you know a lot of Witnesses who are on antipsychotics of had taken in the past... or do you still Dunno?

stupid

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I just started an antidepressant for anxiety some weeks ago. Took a few weeks, but its working. The bad part is, I know the second I get out of this cancer of a religion, I can start weening off of it. Messed up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit