Anyone know Anthony Morris?

by Eiben Scrood 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

I listened to this district overseer's talk here:

http://www.archive.org/details/SpecialAssemblyDay-theTimeLeftIsReduced

It was vomit-inducing. I had never heard of the guy and was curious if perhaps he was decent. Nope - another asshole.

• andy5421
    andy5421

what year is this?

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

It was late 2009 in California.

• Mary
    Mary
    Anyone know Anthony Morris?

No. But if you hum a few bars, I can fake it. Seriously though, I can't believe the dickhead used the Y2K scare as an example, because nothing frigging well happened! What would we all think if all the headlines in 2010 were still saying that Y2K did happen----it just happened 'invisibly'.

"This is not the time to become lax and indifferent and to think that the battle of Armageddon is far away. "The time left is reduced."-----January 1, 1950 Watchtower, p. 18 par. 13.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Well disregarding the theme of the talk- more of the same old, same old- he's not much of a speaker, even by JW standards. I know at one Hall I attended, he probably wouldn't have been invited back.

No Apologies

• JWFreak
    JWFreak

Yeah Anthony Morris the Third...or Tony the turd is a member of the GB.

Vietnam Vet and has a grown up family I believe he serves as the co-ordinator on the GB Service committee and the Publishing committees.

Very hardline JW

JWF

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

never heard of him, but i listened to part of that and it was pretty horrible...

• yknot
    yknot

Delivers 'folksy' talks......

Yankee

Not a GB I am very impressed with as a speaker........ sure he has his charming qualities I appreciate but he lacks the confidence I have seen in other GB. He has bad timing and too many awkward pauses.....for my taste

Here is his mini-bio...

Born in 1950. Brother Morris entered the pioneer service in 1971 in the United States. In December of that year, he married Susan, and they continued pioneering for nearly four years until the birth of their first son, Jesse. In time, they had another son, Paul. Brother Morris reentered the full-time service in 1979 as a regular pioneer. His wife joined him when the boys entered school. The family served where the need was great in Rhode Island and North Carolina, in the United States. In North Carolina, Brother Morris served as a substitute circuit overseer, and the boys took up regular pioneer service. Jesse and Paul were invited to the United States branch at the age of 19. Meanwhile, Brother Morris began circuit work. Then, in 2002 he and Susan were invited to Bethel, starting their new assignment on August 1. Brother Morris worked in the Service Department at Patterson and later as a helper to the Service Committee of the Governing Body. Appointed to the Governing Body on August 24, 2005.

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

Thanks for the comments everyone. I wonder when he decided he was one of the anointed. The biography conveniently leaves that out. I thought he was a very poor speaker. I hate how he pauses waiting for laughs.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

I don't know the guy, but as I recall, he's the one of the youngest GB members (if not the youngest). I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, because I listened to that talk. Now that's an hour of my life I'm never getting back!

My impression of him from the talk: I agree with JWFreak that he sounds like quite a hard-liner. He tries to come off as a regular guy, and not a particularly polished speaker. If I didn't already know who he was, I would not think he's a GB member. It was a formulaic talk, similar to what you'd hear from any run-of-the-mill travelling overseer.

The talk was basically a beat-down of the friends: (1) you need to do more service; (2) keep your sense of urgency; and (3) if you know someone who sinned, you need to turn them in. He makes a passing reference to apostates when discussing those who've left the organization. He says that most who leave or are DF'd still believe it's The Truth, except for a few "mentally-diseased" apostates.

His contempt for those who are not "whole-souled" really shone through in the talk. He mentioned folks who drifted away, describing some as "75-ers" because they were disappointed The End didn't come in 1975. He hammered the verse from 2 Peter 3 about ridiculers saying "where is this promised presence of his..." He said that they'll find out soon enough. Seems like he's looking forward to being proven right.

He also spent some time talking about the carnage at Armageddon. He said it's going to be numbing and likened it to his experience in Viet Nam. Again, he seems to be looking forward to God's great day of genocide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit