Reverse Witnessing - 101

by Jim_TX 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

On the weekends, I am usually found - in the mornings - at the local coffee shop - where I study - and madly write my new ideas - or expand on old ones.

It is a time when I put to paper all of the thoughts of the past week - and dream up new ones for the next one.

Anyway, on Sunday mornings, there is a retired schoolteacher lady who - with her husband show up after their Church services and have breakfast. She will usually try to find an open pair of seats at the counter next to me - to talk with me. (Why - I don't know - but she does.)

This morning, they sat next to me, and she began talking (which usually interrupts my solo quiet time).

During the chatter, she asked me if I was into sports when I was in school. "No." was my reply. "Band?" she asked. "No." again my reply.

Well, she then told me of when her kids were in band and would play at the football games during half-time. And so on. I politely sat and listened, and then after she was through, I mentioned the simple fact - yes, I said fact - that I grew up as a Jehovah's Witness, and as such I was not allowed to participate in school sports - OR - band... or anything else that was considered an extracurricular activity.

She was aghast! "What?" "Well", I said, "These things were considered as competitive - and we weren't allowed to do that sort of thing."

"I also", I continued "was not allowed to walk across the stage at my graduation, and had to go afterwards and pick up my diploma at the main office."

She was again shocked! "You didn't graduate?"

"No, I graduated", I said, "I just wasn't allowed to get my diploma during the ceremonies with everyone else."

I also told her that as a JW - I wasn't allowed to go to college - or other higher education school.

I told her a few other things - as she and her husband were leaving - that should make her think a bit. She asked me if I was still a Jehovah's Witness - to which I replied - "No - I gave that up long ago."

The way I figure it... I can do more damage as a non-JW now - by spreading info like this - when the occassion arises.

I realize that not ALL JWs had the same experiences that I did growing up... but I also know that this is how my mom interpreted the 'rules' - and applied them to us - so that is how I will tell others.

Regards,

Jim TX

Oh. By the way. My wife and I were at the local mall, and I happened upon a JW magazine on the floor. I believe it was a Watchtower. She saw it - and so did I. I scooped it up off the floor - and proceeded to rip it into three pieces - and then deposit it in the nearest trash bin.

• Terry
    Terry

You're my hero, Jimbo!

Keep on keepin' on!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

It sounds to me that your jw childhood was very similar to many other born ins, so you gave her an accurate picture.

• alanv
    alanv

I think you are a good example to all ex witnesses Jim. Just as witnesses give a witness at every opportunity so we too can do the same.

We all know now how we were all taken in by them and I for one think I owe it to my friends and neighbours to warn them about this destructive sect. Good for you.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Don't forget to count your time! :)

• dgp
    dgp

Marked.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Well done, Jim! You are disseminating truth, as I also try to do as the opportunity arises. To be forwarned is to be forearmed. Let's show the world the underside of the beast!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Loved it!

I take every opportunity to do the same.

Sylvia

• peaches
    peaches

((((((((((((((((((((((((( jim tx )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) how awful for what you went through....glad you were able to witness to your coffee friends...i bet it really opened their eyes....peaches

• wobble
    wobble

Well done Jim,

I think this sort of conversation has great value and force, people such as the couple you spoke to, will know you spoke truthfully and sincerely, and will be able to pass on the knowledge to others.

Word of mouth by people such as them , who are informed and yet have no axe to grind really gets through to others. it will all help to puncture the P.R job done by the Dubs that makes them appear somewhat normal.

Wobble

p.s The other thing I like to publicise to all and sundry is, if they find Dubs calling on their house a pain in the ass. get on the DNC list, the public don't know about this, the more that do the more the D to D work becomes pointless and the more the WT fades in to oblivion, I hope.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit