Why are all religions (including J.W.'s) afraid to perform the "Elijah test" recorded at 1 Kings 18:21-39?

by StoneWall 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• not a captive
    not a captive

I jumped in with both feet here when I shouldn't have.

You know and I know that there is every reason to believe that whatever "real" events took place in the history of the children of Abraham they are like artifacts that have been removed from the site in whiich they were discovered, wire brushed, sanded and covered with polyurethane. They are not particularly compelling and may not be trusted for detailed information.

On the other hand, the love of Jesus does compel me more than any of these stories. people I know who deride religion in general, Christianity in particular and especially the Bible stories, they don't laugh at Jesus.

Since I disassociated I have been readjusting my points of reference, generally overhauliing what my faith does consist of and why. The Witnesses were miserably pedantic on every topic and choked the life out of so many of us. There is research and then there are idle entertainments. Sometimes they are nearly the same. I can do that so easily.

I regret responding to this post. I have no dog in this fight. (Well, not exactly. I'll call him back and salve his wounds.) Right now I've got to go water my mustard seed.

• exjw2814
    exjw2814

Beleive and you shall receive! end of post.

• Chalam
    Chalam

StoneWall Any thoughts,comments or viewpoints on this?

I recounted the story to by JW friend and told him "you call on your god and I'll call on mine, let's see who answers with fire from Heaven".

He didn't take up the challenge, quoting Matthew 4:7

I told him Elijah wasn't testing God but acting in faith.

Anyhow, JWs worship a dead idol that can't do a thing so don't expect fire anytime soon 1 Kings 18:27

Blessings,

Stephen

• tec
    tec

NAC - I don't think you have any reason to regret posting. You've certainly not said anything false. You're searching, and expressing your thoughts as you learn. I do this as well, and I like knowing someone else is doing the same. I enjoy hearing about your observations. I enjoy hearing anything that anyone thinks when they're thinking for themselves!

The love of Jesus compels me more than any of these stories also. Yet, I still find searching for and discussing the meaning of some of them interesting and worthwhile.

Tammy

• not a captive
    not a captive

Hello, Tammy-- I came home from work . I read your post . Now I feel ! Thanks, Maeve

• tec
    tec

Maeve - You're very welcome. I've felt how you felt, so I understand.

Tammy

bttt

• moshe
    moshe

The Jews tried it back in the 30s-40's- they let G-d protect them from the Germans, then they prayed to G-d to rescue them from concentration camps. Finally they saw it was General Eisenhower who liberated them, not G-d, and that lesson has not been forgotten.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit