Anyone former JW's from St Louis or Southern Mo?

by doomed4sure 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• doomed4sure
    doomed4sure

I'm formerly from the Jackson/Cape Girardeau area and am currently in St Louis.

I've been out in the 'world' for 10 years. This is the first time I've tried to contact anyone or really even read anything about the JW's (and former JW's). To be quite honest, I was trying to forget that part of my life ever happened. And it seems to have worked. Some of my friends know that I used to be a JW, but when they ask me about it it's almost like I can't even access that part of my brain. Maybe it's repressed guilt. Who knows.

Anyway, I just read the book 'I'm Perfect, You're Doomed' by Kyria Abrahams and it brought everything back. It made me wonder how others have dealt with being separated from their "family." So I started looking things up online, and here I am.

So, I was wondering, are there people I used to know that have gone through the same things?

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Sorry I can't help, but to the forum

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I know someone from that area that moved into our old hall before we quit . She was a young woman that married a boy from here . I traveled to the Jackson area to photograph their wedding . Hawkins was her last name her mom is a pioneer not sure if her Dad is an Elder . Does that name sound familiar ?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

I would like to recommend these two books:

Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz

http://www.commentarypress.com/Publication/English.html

and

Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan

http://www.amazon.com/Combatting-Cult-Mind-Control-Best-selling/dp/0892813113/

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

So. Illinois here..

• doomed4sure
    doomed4sure

Leaving, the Franz book is next on my list. I'm just waiting for finals to be over so I can free up some space in my brain. I've heard it's a tough read.

Troubled, I know the Hawkins. But their kids are younger than me and I left before their daughter got married.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I've heard it's a tough read.

"Crisis of Conscience" is an emotionally tough read, as you'll learn that your entire worldview/spirituality is based upon lies, but the book is not a difficult read, from a language/ideas standpoint. It is a very fast read, actually. I think you'll really enjoy it.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I live in southern IL, near Carbondale, Illinois.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

North County of St. Louis here.

• doomed4sure
    doomed4sure

MindMelda, I didn't know many people from there. The only name I can come up with is Frakes. They had a cute son I had a crush on. I only went to one god-approved party in that area. We stayed mostly in Southern Mo.

Silence, we need a local support group in St Louis. Interested?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit