THE JERUSALEM BIBLE...2 SAMUEL 7:3...

by Quentin 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Quentin
    Quentin

2 Samuel 7:3...Nathan said to the King, "Go and do all that is in your MIND, for Yahweh is with you.

All other translations I have read, including the nwt, say "heart". Why did the JB use the word mind....?

• Quentin
    Quentin

bttt

• not a captive
    not a captive

The Strong's Exhaustive Concordance says that word in the Hebrew was leb or lebab---the heart; also used(figl) very widely for the feelings, the will and even the intellect, likwise the center of anything.

Does that help? Maeve

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Check out this site, I hope it helps as well

http://bible.cc/2_samuel/7-3.htm

• Quentin
    Quentin

Thank you for the input....had already looked up the info in a Concordance....the question is why the JB used "mind" as opposed to "heart". Small thing really. Perhaps the translators wanted to convey the idea of the mind being the seat of those emotions.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I can't say which is the more accurate version nor why the JB translators chose that wording. But remember that most other translations came via a common ancestor, Jerome's vulgate (Latin) translation, while the JB was a new translation from Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic sources.

• QuestForThruth
    QuestForThruth

In my old French JB 1974 it is heart.

Wiki

• Terry
    Terry
    Thank you for the input....had already looked up the info in a Concordance....the question is why the JB used "mind" as opposed to "heart". Small thing really. Perhaps the translators wanted to convey the idea of the mind being the seat of those emotions.

I constantly complain about fuzzing the actual meaning of a communication by needlessly inserting a metaphorical term.

I love you with al my heart is essentially a poetic statement rather than a factual one.

The Jerusalem Bible is specifically communicating the MIND and I applaud the translators. (one of whom was J. R. R. Tokein!)

• Quentin
    Quentin

Thanks for the link Ivestegator74....thanks for the memory jog GL....French has heart....hmmmmm..interseting...

This has become a minor tempest in a tea cup in my daughter's church Bible study group, since she uses the JB....her version says mind....other versions used by the group say heart...GLs list gives several other translations that use mind at 2 Sam 7:3....the reason appears to elusive, at this point....

• Quentin
    Quentin

one of whom was J. R. R. Tokein!...Terry

Yes he was and was good friends with C. S. Lewis, his primary contribution being the book of Jonah....which is the next Bible book Stacy's group will study...The group seems to have some KJ only members as well...I'd love to go with her, but it is a "womans group only", so I'm barred....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit