Theocratic Ministry School Assignments

by XPeterX 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

The elders would give me the assignment about a month before my speech.Man I used to wake up at nights thinking about it,being so anxious,so depressed...I also used to read explosively fast in order to get back to my seat as soon as possible and leave during the second song."It's a good think to be anxious about your assignment" they said.No motherockers it ain't good,it ain't no F()&Uinng good it's like smashing one's balls with a sledgehammer.Anyone had the same feelings?

• dogon
    dogon

I did the same thing I was always counciled at reading to fast. I hated this crap and quit. Never looked back. Its a complete waste of time and energy.

• yknot
    yknot

Wussses.....

Reading is EASY!

Try writing a mini play each month (including directorial cues).....

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I loved giving talks. wish i could have been at the podium instead of at the girls table. but i really like public speaking.

• yknot
    yknot

....serenitynow....

One of my scenarios would be scenes from debate class or householder doorstep......

While we didn't get 'podium placement' we got stand-time!

(It is a wonder they didn't push me into the second school faster)

• Think About It
    Think About It

I heard Simon Cowell on American Idol copied his insults from a JW Theocratic Ministry School Overseer in London.

Think About It

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The first time, I was hounded into wasting 6 hours on a #2 talk. They wanted endless rehearsals until it came out perfect--which might be appropriate if you are putting out a major hit record or a line for a movie, but not a stupid talk. In the end, I would simply take 10 minutes, read the scriptures, get a theme, put one or two lines before and after (and for the break, when there was one) in the middle. From there, the less I wasted trying to get it perfect, the better it would turn out. My notes would fit on one side of a 3 X 5 index card most of the time.

Even a #4 talk was usually easy enough. There were maybe 2 or 3 scriptures (out of context) to look up, along with a theme. Usually, 3-4 lines of notes was enough: Again, most of the time it would all fit neatly on one side of a 3 X 5 index card, and I would waste no more than around 10-15 minutes putting it together. Any more, and it would simply be a total waste of time. (Of course, just going to the boasting sessions and giving the talk was itself a waste, but just picking out a key line and letting everything else fall into place cut the waste to this minimum).

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I was predatory in talk-giving. I'd predict which publisher would wuss-out and prepare his part in advance so I could do it "last minute". Later I would purposely not prepare at all and only look at it when I walked up to create an adrenalin challenge. I loved getting to do the public talk on zero notice from the outline only. I had it down to a science.

It did seem to bother the other elders that I could do that. I remember trying to "conduct myself as a lesser one" by not speaking any more than necessary at the elder meetings, but that only mitigated things a bit.

(of course I did end up being the school overseer)

I really hated giving talks to people who wanted to say they were on the school, but didn't really want to give talks. I gradually removed these people from the rotation without telling them to see if they'd ask to give a talk before scheduling them again.

The morons at my hall didn't seem to get that w/the new school guidebook, the counsel points they'd be working on were THEIR business, not mine. I'd assign the counsel point after they last talk and THEY were supposed to inform me on the slip what they were working on. The point of the Borg's direction was for the student to take responsibility, but Nooooo, other meat-head elders couldn't get that through their skulls. Instead they used computer programs for the school. I never did that. If you wanted to give talks, then you got to give talks, and if you didn't there was no way I was going to force (encourage) you to do so.

I'd say..."You don't have to be on the school if you don't want to, but if you do, then understand that I'm going to schedule you and it's up to you to look at the schedule. I'm not going to be reminding you. Your counsel point is yours and if you're engaged at the meetings you can be thinking about how you can apply the various counsel points WHILE you're observing other student talks. Mkay?"

• myownlife
    myownlife

I hated giving talks...my talk partner would always be unavailable to 'practice' or would just be a pain in the #($*%...and I would always be counseled by this elder who couldn't stand me...nit picky a hole.

My mother has a lifetime supply of those 3x5 cards!

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well, now they counsel you privately, anything about the talk said from the platform is on a positive note. And the Bible reading, is that, only reading. Lucky brothers. The hardest and most important part of a talk for the sisters is the setting. And it is hard to find an interesting and realistic setting. On my last assingment, I told the overseer, I just couldn't get it together. I shouldn't have said anything, because the meeting was cancelled due to snow. But, recently, he asked if I wanted on the schedule again and like a wimp I said okay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit