The CONSCIOUS CLASS what does it mean to you, and do you consider yourself one of them?

by cattails 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cattails
    cattails

There's a few posts where the term "conscious class" has been in just recently.

I'm wondering if it means the same to most JWs and exJWs who post here.

What does the "conscious class" mean to you?

Do you consider yourself one of them?

Ok, no funny business about 'being conscious' as in awake and fully cafeinated.

If you could answer the two questions it may help some here to understand what

this term is a lot better. I consider myself one of them. It is strange that some in

my home congregation may also be of the 'conscious class'... There was an

estimate someplace that said up to a third of all active JWs are of the 'conscious

class'. That would be hard to believe. But it would be great if that were so.

What do you think? And thanks for your answers.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

To me it simply means being conscious that the WT if full of sh*t.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

To me it means Reality conscious....and yes I am..

Loz x

• Heaven
    Heaven

I agree with JimmyPage and would add that JWs in this class seem to be ones who are somewhat trapped because they still have loved ones in the organization that they cannot risk losing.

• alanv
    alanv

The conscious class is an expression used by Rick from the six screens of the watchtower website. It refers to those witnesses who still attend the meetings but in their heart of hearts know something is seriously wrong with their religion.For one reason or another they choose to stay in it but with no enthusiasm.

Another favourite expression Rick uses is getting free from the' tenticles of the Watchtower'. This is a great expression and so true.

• cattails
    cattails

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate that the issue of family relations came up.

The reason I'm still attending meetings is to keep up the front that everything's ok.

My father knows there's some questions and problems with doctrine in my mind.

What can you do when someone in your family is so loyal and devoted that their

only thought is unquestioning service to the WT?

I'm still a Christian. I haven't given up on my belief in God. This is different from

other people who may post here, but what we have in common is the realization

that the WT misrepresents the truth and gives people false hopes "within their

lifetime". But so many WT promises have gone by the wayside and instead of

admitting they led people on and gave them a false hope they turn around and

blame the very people they egged on by saying they "ran ahead" or they were

given to speculation.

I find it very disgusting that this "religious" corporation has so much control of

people's lives. It devastates me and I feel unable to do much about it. But I am

conscious of at least this much: I am mentally free of this Cult. And I hope one

day I will be physically and emotionally free too.

• freddo
    freddo

What heaven and AlanV said - and I count myself among the conscious class.

• wobble
    wobble

Alan V, don't you mean the Ten Tackles of the WT ?

I suppose that the majority of witnesses who have a couple of sparking brain cells realise that alot is wrong with the blather they have to read and listen to, but they rationalise in some way, as I did when I was in.

To be truly conscious, you must be FULLY awake, those still in as I describe above are like someone half asleep who vaguely takes note as he slumbers that all is not well as his house is broken in to.

I think you can only be of the Conscious Class, truly totally awake, and stay supposedly " in", for a short time, otherwise it would drive you nuts.

Wobble

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Cattails, I understand your feelings of helplessness. There really is no quick fix to get through to indoctrinated family members. The WT knows this. The WT also knows that what wobble said is true: it is VERY DIFFICULT to maintain a conscious class status within the borg. They use this to their advantage and push the BS as hard as they can so that anyone who is of the conscious class will be looking forward to getting out asap.

I think it is clear that the borg would rather lose more than 1.5% of their total active membership every year than allow people who dissent to stick around and plant ideas of independent thought into the minds of the collective. Search Solomon Ashe Conformity Experiment on youtube and see exactly how dangerous just ONE dissenter in a group can be to the conformity behavior of a doubter.

So the borg deals with the conscious class in several ways. It indoctrinates the rank and file with fear of apostates that they reinforce with loaded language such as "apostate" "doubts" "questioning" "independent thinking" that all carry heavy negative connotations often connected to the word and the action "shun." So a conscious class person has to be cautious as a serpent in planting seeds among his/her loved ones. The WT knows that the stress of it will eventually become too much and he'll either say something outright that will get him DFd, or he'll give up the fight and DA, or he'll fade to the point where he's considered "weak" and therefore be marginalized as a source of good information.

So it's frustrating. I had high hopes of being among the conscious class. Instead I'm a fader who seems to have been marked by almost everyone I know.

Example. I'm in line with my family at an event recently. I notice behind me a guy from the KH. Probably in the bottom 10% as far as meeting attendance and service, etc. He'd be considered fairly weak by most accounts in the Borg. But apparently I'm even lower on the pole at this point. After an initial greeting he tried not to meet my eye and my efforts to engage in small talk were only reluctantly responded to. Then a few minutes later his wife comes up (no offense ladies but sisters are WAY more judgmental than brothers), sees me there, says something to him and they just leave. They didn't stay in line or attend the event. Maybe I'm assuming too much by thinking it was because of me but I really wouldn't be surprised.

So once it's public knowledge that you're fading your ability to function effectively as a conscious class member is curtailed. You're already shunned even when you're not DFd.

I had an idea, though, of a way to disseminate information to loved ones anonymously. If sent from each of us personally or even from each of us anonymously, they'd know it was from us because of the postmark. BUT, if enough of us exchanged the addresses of loved ones we would like to receive certain materials (Combatting Cult Mind Control, Millions Now Living Will Never Die, Crisis of Conscience, or smaller brochures or letters, etc.) and mailed them from elsewhere they wouldn't be able to identify us via postmark. I haven't thought it all the way through but it is an idea I'm toying with. I think we need to be more organized than we are. They claim to be opposed by apostates but they haven't seen anything yet, IMO.

• dissed
    dissed

Two classes to think about that are noteworthy.

The 'conscious class' and the 'unconscious class' that are still in. Both have grown considerably since my leaving.

The 'unconscious class' goes about the motions of being a JW, but really their heart is not in it and is doing very little to promote Watchtowerism. They just don't stop to think about it. As Ynot mentioned before, this is a large percentage of JW's, which is obvious by their lack of FS, meeting attendance and what they talk about or what they don't talk about much, the WT.

These are also the ones that don't contribute financially.

As one particularly judgemental CO told us Elders, "they don't really believe we are in the last days". So they are not motivated to make any 'WT sacrifices'. There children leave the 'truth' at a very high percentage.

Their appearance may seem to fit the 'conscious class', but they don't label to themselves why they are not doing much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit