Help for children to think and reason for themselves

by wannabefree 12 Replies latest social family

• Terry
    Terry

From Galt's speech in Atlas Shrugged:

Thinking is man’s only basic virtue, from which all the others proceed. And his basic vice, the source of all his evils, is that nameless act which all of you

practice, but struggle never to admit: the act of blanking out, the willful suspension of one’s consciousness, the refusal to think—not blindness, but

the refusal to see; not ignorance, but the refusal to know. It is the act of unfocusing your mind and inducing an inner fog to escape the responsibility

of judgment—on the unstated premise that a thing will not exist if only you refuse to identify it, that A will not be A so long as you do not pronounce

the verdict “It is.” Non-thinking is an act of annihilation, a wish to negate existence, an attempt to wipe out reality. But existence exists; reality is not

to be wiped out, it will merely wipe out the wiper. By refusing to say “It is,” you are refusing to say “I am.” By suspending your judgment, you are

negating your person. When a man declares: “Who am I to know?” he is declaring: “Who am I to live?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I realize its a shame that I have to ask for information on teaching my children to think for themselves ... but I pretty much gave that over to an organization for the past couple of decades so I have to relearn myself (as I was not a born-in). I know how find answers using the Watchtower Library, the concordance, the bound volumes, and I know introducing other sources to my children is going to cause trouble in the mind of my wife.

• awildflower
    awildflower

My daughter read The Secret To Teen Power. To be fair I haven't' read it, but she really liked it and put into practice some of the ideas and has noticed a change in her little life. It teaches that kids can have and do anything they choose which I love considering the WTS teaches just the opposite!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit