You ever drive to the meeting, or field service meeting point, and do a U-Turn and go back home?

by miseryloveselders 33 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I did this today. Last night, the pretty little weather girl stated there would "be heavy rain marked by occasional thunderstorms." I thought to myself, great, hopefully its so bad when I awaken, anybody originally planning on going out, will just stay home. For those gung ho enough to go out in this weather, they can do calls(RVs), and they're all adult enough to organize that themselves. Well, the little pretty weather girl turned out to be a dirty, filthy, stinkin liar. To be fair, it was gloomy, with a minor trickle effect, but not the El Nino she was talkin about. So I threw on some khakis, grabbed a wrinkle proof Geoffrey Beene that matched somewhat and a tie, out the door and in the car. On the way there, I read the Daily Text, and was debating whether or not I could stretch it to fit a theme for field service or not.

As I drove up the hill to the house where we meet, I spot the vehicle of another elder who's in the same group. He can be the most annoying person you could ever meet. He moves to his own drum, and he becomes more aloof the older he gets. Both he and his wife are old school pioneers. They have the tenacity of cockroaches. There's a side of me that can respect that, but this morning I just wasn't in the mood. I saw their vehicle, and gritted my teeth and decided to go through with it. Then I got a little closer, and I spotted another vehicle. The owner of this car, is the sensitive congregation whiner. Every Kingdom Hall comes with one. If your car gets a flat tire, her car's transmission went. If you catch the flu, well she caught the bubonic plague. Your husband left you, well her husband left her and occasionally comes back to beat her. The worst mistake you can make with her, is ask her how she's doing it. But not just ask, ask her genuinely, and even allow time for her to tell you. Some days I'd rather trade places with Helen Keller (even in the grave) than hear that broken record. Today was one of them. I felt the worst feeling of dread and irritability upon seeing both of those vehicles this morning. I turned a U-ey so fast, you could hear my tires peeling. Gunned it down the hill, and headed back home. Walked in the door, tore my clothes off like Superman, disconnected my phone, turned off all the lights, turned on my fan, and jumped back in the bed. I didnt get back up until 2:37pm. You know what? It felt good. Really good.

You ever do that? Whether it be going to the meeting or field service? Get to your destination and say to yourself, "screw this"?

• asilentone
    asilentone

well yes, my ex wife and I were arguing big time in the car on the way to the KH, it was too much, so I decided to return back home.

• upnorth
    upnorth

You have certainly taken a step in the right direction.

I remember as a kid dreading the freakish characters I'd have to put up with at the "hall" The guy with the really bad garlic breath, the hippies that had just joined but hadn't found the modern miracle of deodorant.

The people you mentioned are in every "hall" every where.

One of my dad's better friends was this idiot that ran from the latest killer of the day and he did it everyday it seemed. Someone said red food dye was bad and he's flipping out over it for days. He finds out caffeine is bad and he switches to de-cafe he finds out de-caf is bad for you and .......hell I don't know what he switched to. AnyWho to get to the point the freak never missed a meeting or a chance to educate everyone.

I do not miss a single person from the Kingdom Hall I was raised in.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Yep. I SO remember this happening, and it's been twenty-eight years! After I got my first place, my parents urged me to keep up with the meetings. I got dressed up in my panty-hose and skirt one hot summer nite and drove towards the Hall. I saw the cars in the lot and hesitated when my stomach churned with dread. I missed my turn. They were the biggest hypocrites, all smarmy smiles and so fake when they pretended to be glad to see me. I did a u-turn back towards the Hall but just kept on going .I just couldn't go in there. I went home, put on some shorts and had a nice cold beer. I've never been back.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Misery, that was a courageous stand for self-respect. Tell yourself that anyway. Now, just do it more often.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yes, there came a point that I just couldn't bring myself to even get out of the car once I was in the parking lot. Just turned right around and went to Michael's Crafts store. Felt very very good to be doing something normal that evening.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have had occasions when I turned around before I even left my place--but, usually I "forgot" to call for a ride to the boasting session or "accidentally" sleep late and blow it off.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sure....One time it was C/O's visit. I was the Cong Secretary and I felt that I had to show up for Field Misery...

I got the K Hall, deliberately late. I heard the meeting supposed to motivate you for the the service. I Just could not face it. I felt so wretched and sick to the stomach.

I decided to lose myself in the melee when they were pairing up and getting territory. Pretending that I was fixed up, I left the Hall, stopped to buy a Sunday Paper, drove to a secluded cafe and got a coffee....

Ever felt like a square peg in a round hole ?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I didn't realize you were doing a really slow fade and still going out in service, misery. Glad you were able to skip it yesterday. Best of luck as you continue the fade.

As to your question, yes, I used to do that. Especially as a teenager during the summer, I'd be on my way to the Kingdom Hall for service and just keep driving until I got to the beach in summer. I'd blow off service for skiing in the winter, too. Guess even though I "made progress" and had some "privileges" I was never the best of Dubs.

When I was starting to consider fading, I would sometimes go to a meeting, socialize and pick up my literature before it started, and then a few minutes into the meeting, I'd just leave. It was a nightmare to be there so I wouldn't stay.

• spawn
    spawn

Many a time I got as far as the car park and couldn't be arsed to get out the car.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit