when in field service, was there any stupid rules that had to be followed?

by rockmehardplace 25 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Where I am from, sisters are not allowed to handle their own territory cards if there is a man in the car.

You must hand the territory card to the brother and let him direct everything. You are not to tell him which streets have already been worked or give him any kind of clue as to the best way to proceed.

You must do this even if the brother is a moron when it comes to map-reading.

Result? If you are a moron map-reading brother, you will get into a car full of sisters and no one will have any territory cards........

One time, this moron of a brother sent two sisters to not-at-homes that had just been done 10 mins prior by a different set of sisters. No one was allowed to tell him of this blunder (it would appear the sisters were not submitting to his headship.......sheesh.....) So the houses that were not at home 10 minutes ago,.......were still not at home.

Idiots.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Folding the magazines and tracts a certain way before leaving them. I had an elderette come down on my like a harpy from hell over that again and again.

I told her, "It's been a while since I was treated like I was a kid, thanks, you make me feel so young." Sarcasm!

Also, at our KH, you had to make field service arrangements for a partner privately before you went out. If you showed up without prior arrangments, everyone got pissed, because they had their partner arrangements made. I was twice sent home without going out because no one would include me in their arrangements with a "you should have made arrangements ahead of time".

Our KH had some serious clique issues, which were addressed time and time again by COs, but ignored totally because it didn't suit them. Weird combination of screw the societies arrangements (but not in a good way) with "follow the society no matter what" going on there.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Similar to palmtree67, My wife used to tell me stories about how the sisters HAD to listen to the brother. I would hear stories how the brother was an idiot, very inefficient, doing wrong streets, doing some twice, etc, and the sisters were NOT allowed to question him. Absolute stupidity. If it were me I would appreciate a sister telling me where I could be more efficient and make everyones life easier.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I can't remember any overarching rules, but I can remember having to vary my behavior based upon who was my partner. Some dubs had a real issue with saying anything before the householder opened the door. Some were really uptight about territories with overhead power lines. Leading groups out as an MS was like "dodge the neurosis" sometimes. The greatest FS experience I had was having to lead a Sunday afternoon group, and no one showed up. I was ecstatic.

• whatistruth
    whatistruth

Making sure not too many jdubs "congregate" on the sidewalk and heaven forbid talk to each other for 2 minutes. Reading all these comments it is so evident that jw's are the true modern day pharisee's with thousands of rules that just bring down the flock.

• Kobe
    Kobe

There was a couple in my hall, regular pioneers, that would only count their time for talking to people. That means they could go out from 9 to 12, and only record 15 minutes of time.

• littlebird
    littlebird

Wardens that wouldn't let you go pee til noon.

• Poztate
    Poztate

We had to wear both a tie and a suit coat out in service. The temps in the summer time approached 90+ degrees

Bunch of Bull Shit but nobody questioned it

• blondie
    blondie

In some congregations sisters were expected to wear nylons in the summer regardless of heat.

As to counting time, in 40 years of door to door and several congregations, the rule was you could count time from the first door you knocked on (whether a person came to the door or not) till you left the last door (or rv or bible study). Some people were creative and called an rv from the kh and started their time then and then made an rv nearby their home to end their time. Never did a person have to be home to start your time, just make the attempt.

*** km 9/81 p. 3 par. 1 Part II—Contributing Toward an Accurate Report ***? It is understandable that after one gets into the territory and the preaching work has gotten under way, there will be time spent walking or traveling between homes and such can reasonably be counted as time in field service.

*** km 10/74 p. 2 Your Service Meetings ***After we get started, we may include time in getting from one house to another as we make our calls, and we may count the time whether householders are at home and willing to listen or not; our reason for calling is to preach.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

thank goodness I dodged F/S as much as possible, we must have been lunatics putting ourselves through such torture, we had some crazy pioneers who would start F/S as early as 4AM to start ATM/ Filling Station witnessing ! your really going to make disciples that way????!!!!, bet they got their hours in easily, then there was the Olympic walker who would walk from one end of the territory to the other! you are looking at some serious mileage during a day, madness utter madness

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit