WTB&TS Information control and the internet

by wannabefree 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I know that WTB&TS was successful in sutting down the "Quotes" website ... I am curious, have they made legal threats or used any strong-arm tactics against other sites like this one or freeminds or jwfacts ?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

of course I meant shutting down ... sorry

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think a big part of the WTS success in shutting down the quotes site was that "watchtower" was part of the domain name. Another big part was that it was A LOT of quotes pulled from the Borg Lit without analysis, which could be seen as a possible violation of fair use. And finally, the BIG BAD BORG was far too wealthy for a single individual with a website to fight in court, so we will never really know if he would have been able to successfully legally defend his site or not.

I don't think they have a leg to stand on against either freeminds or jwfacts. Quotes used are clearly under most sane nations' fair use guidelines and the sites are both clearly used for educational purposes. Neither of them use "watchtower" in their domain name. Neither of them use any WTS logos. That doesn't mean they wouldn't go after them, necessarily, if they thought it was in their interests.

But it's not.

Randy knows enough people and has been doing this long enough that the publicity that would ensue would be a nightmare for the Borg. And they also know that Paul isn't afraid to use legal means against them, either.

I know this much. I would donate all I can to the defense of either one of those sites if the Borg sees fit to attack them.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have never been approached by the WTS about jwfacts.com, (except to disfellowship me) though I have worried it may happen one day. Part of the reason it is a simple html/php site is to make it easy to Zip up and email to a bunch of friends to re-load under new domain names or on servers not under Western legal jurisdiction. As MadSweeney noted, Quotes had a more difficult legal issue by using Watchtower as its' domain.

I have been careful not to breach copyright. As much as I would love to have the elders manual etc for download I have not for fear of legal action. There are names and forms on the site that I have been worried may attract legal action, but with the internet, for every site that is shut down ten will rise in its place.

• leavingwt
  • ziddina
    ziddina

Huh! This looks like the right thread to ask this question...

I have recently gone on a book-buying spree. I have purchased a number of old, second-hand Watchtower Society literature; books written before 1975.

What I had planned on doing with these books, is to read thru them and post, in chronological order, quotes pertinent to current issues that ex-JWs have with the WTBTS as it exists today...

Would that be in copyright violation, and/or would it cause trouble for this site???

I am currently in possession of:

"The Divine Plan of the Ages", copyright 1908; the "pyramid chart" has unfortunately been ripped out, apparently by some over-zealous JW...

"Millions Now Living Will Never Die" - the 128-page pamphlet; copyright date 1920 (but this is a reprint issued in 1940 or 1941...)

"The Harp of God", copyright 1921... Which also mentions "Proof Conclusive that Millions Now Living Will Never Die" on its title page...

"The Divine Plan of the Ages", copyright 1923; this one HAS the "pyramid chart" intact... It took three purchases to get ONE copy of that blasted chart - besides, I wanted several copies of this to compare for changes...

"The Harp of God", copyright 1925... That was a mistaken, double-purchase. Ooopsies!

"Government", attributed to "Judge" Rutherford himself, copyright 1928...

"Enemies", also attributed to "Judge" Rutherford, copyright 1937...

"Children", also attributed to "Judge" Rutherford, copyright 1941 - may have been published posthumously...

"A Helping Hand - The Divine Plan of the Ages - for Bible Students" - this one's a bit confusing. Either it's a later version of the "Divine Plan" books, or it's actually "Studies in the Scriptures", as it states on its title page... Copyright 1946...

I have a big gap in the 1950s... My next book is:

"The Truth that leads to Eternal Life", copyright 1968...

"Then is Finished the Mystery of God", copyright 1969...

"The Nations Shall Know That I am Jehovah - How?", copyright 1971...

"True Peace and Security - From What Source?", copyright 1973...

And this one's a bit past the "1975 Armageddon deadline", which may explain its title: "Good News to Make You Happy", copyright 1976...

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to post - hopefully in a sequential, reasonably well-organized fashion - quotes from these books!!!

What's the name of that old childrens' game? "Simon Says"?? Should I ask Simon about this, before I start a thread with quotes from these old books???

Zid

• St George of England
    St George of England

Most of these are already on line at

www.strictlygenteel.co.uk

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit