Happy St George's Day Everyone

by LittleSister 12 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

Today is St George's Day the patron saint to England. He is also the patron saint of a few other countries like Germany plus a fair few cities so he does get around a bit.

Have a happy St George's Day everyone

• wobble
    wobble

Damn, I'm having trouble finding my flag !

I shall lift a glass or two of ale to St.George later, that is if the dragon lets me.

I bet Spawn and Cantleave will join me in a long distance toast to our patron Saint. pity St. George isn't around today, there are plenty of dragons for him to slay.

Have a good one everyone !!!!!

• LittleSister
  • nancy drew
    nancy drew

Who is this George anyway and what are his miracles?

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

St George held the rank of tribune in the Roman army and was beheaded by Diocletian for protesting against the Emperor's persecution of Christians. George rapidly became venerated throughout Christendom as an example of bravery in defence of the poor and the defenceless and of the Christian faith. Due to his widespread following, particularly in the Near East, and the many miracles attributed to him, George became universally recognized as a saint sometime after 900.

George was adopted as the patron saint of soldiers after he was said to have appeared to the Crusader army at the Battle of Antioch in 1098. The banner of St George, the red cross of a martyr on a white background, was later adopted for the uniform of English soldiers possibly in the reign of Richard 1. He become acknowledged as Patron Saint of England at the end of the fourteenth century.

The legend of George and the Dragon

The town of Silene had a pond, as large as a lake, where a plague-bearing dragon dwelled that envenomed all the countryside. To appease the dragon, the people of Silene used to feed it two sheep every day, and when the sheep failed, they fed it their children, chosen by lottery.

It happened that the lot fell on the king's daughter. The king, distraught with grief, told the people they could have all his gold and silver and half of his kingdom if his daughter were spared; the people refused. The daughter was sent out to the lake, decked out as a bride, to be fed to the dragon.

Saint George by chance rode past the lake. The princess, trembling, sought to send him away, but George vowed to remain.

The dragon reared out of the lake while they were conversing. Saint George fortified himself with the Sign of the Cross, charged it on horseback with his lance and gave it a grievous wound. Then he called to the princess to throw him her girdle, and he put it around the dragon's neck. When she did so, the dragon followed the girl like a meek beast on a leash. She and Saint George led the dragon back to the city of Silene, where it terrified the people at its approach. But Saint George called out to them, saying that if they consented to become Christians and be baptised, he would slay the dragon before them.

The king and the people of Silene converted to Christianity, George slew the dragon, and the body was carted out of the city on four ox-carts. "Fifteen thousand men baptized, without women and children." On the site where the dragon died, the king built a church to the Blessed Virgin Mary and Saint George, and from its altar a spring arose whose waters cured all disease.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

happy St George's day everyone on all sides of the globe

• maputo95
    maputo95

Happy Saint George's Day. England is a special country and I'm non-English. May St George continue to pray for us!

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Well gee, I guess I'll have to have a pint on my side of the pond!! Happy St. George's Day

• St George of England
    St George of England

Well thank you one and all. I haven't rescued a maiden for a long time, I think they must be in short supply, and most of the dragons I have come across seem quite decent when you get to know them.

I will celebrate by watching Stan Freeberg's version of George & the Dragon on YouTube.

George

• Podobear
    Podobear

The teddy bears picnic in my clinic window are all waving the flag... the locals love it... it's drawn quite a cloud. Come on England, bring a smile... it's Election time (woopey-do!!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit