You really DON'T KNOW LOVE at all

by Terry 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

LOVE is spoken of as though it were an actual.....thing.

The discourse surrounding "love" is a dishonest framing of an argument based on a non-context.

What do I mean?

LOVE is an emotion. It is the strongest possible positive emotion.

Where does it come from?

It comes from your values.

The emotional response of one person to the (perceived) virtues of another.

Emotional recognition of the embodiment of one's highest values of esthetics, character and integrity.

In short, what you personally value is what you personally respond to positively.

Emotions are not a source of information. They are a feedback of what you have accepted as true already!

The work of man’s mind is not automatic, his values, like all his premises, are the product either of his thinking or of his evasions.

A person chooses his values by a conscious process of thought—or accepts them by default, by subconscious associations, on faith, on someone’s

authority, by some form of social osmosis or blind imitation. Emotions are produced by man’s premises, held consciously or subconsciously, explicitly

or implicitly.

Bottom line?

If you don't ACTIVELY develop your values you get them passively. The result will be like getting your wardrobe by hand-me-downs. Your sense of

fashion will not reflect YOU but UPON you. Your emotions will follow your hand-me-down values and won't fit your personal needs.

YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE with the WRONG person because your values aren't YOURS based on who you are and what you are.

LOVE is an echo and not a voice.

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

And so I could never accept the commandment: You "MUST" 'LOVE" God. How can you command someone to love another under pain of punishment if you don't love them.

Blueblades

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This is classic Objectivism.

We all receive much of our values, by the way. Both biologically, as well as culturally.

BTS

• Terry
    Terry

What is a "value"?

Let the character John Galt elaborate:

“Value” is that which one acts to gain and keep, “virtue” is the action by which one gains and keeps it.

“Value” presupposes an answer to the question: of value to whom and for what?

“Value” presupposes a standard, a purpose and the necessity of action in the face of an alternative.

Where there are no alternatives, no values are possible.

Life itself is the source of all other values. Without life their can be no value.

Value is an appraisal which tells you what you are willing to give (or give up) to obtain something.

Can love be measured?

Yes.

What you are willing to trade (by way of time, money, thought, effort) for the THING VALUED gives the measured magnititude of your particular love.

As in the phrase "I'd give anything in the world if I could have you."

• Terry
    Terry

We all receive much of our values, by the way. Both biologically, as well as culturally.

The point is HOW we receive our values: CONSCIOUSLY and willingly or by passive default!

• peaches
    peaches

WHATS LOVE GOT TO DO...GOT TO DO WITH IT....WHATS LOVE BUT A SECOND HAND EMOITION... (tapping foot to rythum of song)

• Lieu
    Lieu

Odd. I've seen infants & toddlers who love their parents, unconditionally.

What values have they learned?

Interesting topic but I disagree with the consensus.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I think LOVE is really a god-like emotion. Humans try to imitate it, but most fail horribly.

• Terry
    Terry

Odd. I've seen infants & toddlers who love their parents, unconditionally.

What values have they learned?

Interesting topic but I disagree with the consensus.

Infants and toddlers are entirely and wholly dependant beings.

On whom would they depend other than parents?

Who comforts them, feeds them, reassures and nurtures them but parents?

The infant/toddler surely has cause to value that!

• Terry
    Terry

I think LOVE is really a god-like emotion.

I've never met a god. Have you?

Ever met anybody who has met anybody who has?

I think humans do a crackin' good job of imitating the Old Testament God when they threaten, instill fear, demand obedience, hurl punishments and seek vengence.

Further, humans seem entirely confused about the nature of justice and that is compatible with the New Testament God who, after millennia of

killing people for being sinners turns around and grants them pardon without them even deserving it. That's a good example of human injustice.

Violating your own standards is sooooo human!

So, maybe god-like emotions are something to be avoided altogether, eh wot?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit