muslims worry about south park while THIS is going on?!?!

by chickpea 21 Replies latest social current

• chickpea
    chickpea

last night frontline (PBS) aired a documentary called
    "the dancing boys of afghanistan"

a euphemism for a sex slave/pederastic business that
    is alive, well and thriving in afghanistan

don't poke fun at mohammed, poke little boys instead

IDIOTS!!!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/dancingboys/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=proglist&utm_source=proglist

• JWoods
    JWoods

Just as disgusting as throwing acid in young girls faces for going to school.

Should you put this on the other South Park thread?

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

There's a sociologist paradigm that postulates that the way a society treats women and children in general tells you a lot about how the culture views sex.

Any culture who treats women disrespectfully and as inferior also tends to have other sorts of sexual abuse and discrimination. The Muslim countries have more homophobia, more sanctioned pedophilia simply because they view men as superior and their sexual needs and wants as superior. They feel women and children are property, and to be used and disposed of as needed. They are more homophobic because they regard any man who is attracted to another man as taking the woman's position, and therefore, to be treated as they treat women.

Some Muslim women protest that they feel protected by the restrictions, and in moderation, that might well be true, but on the other hand, lots of men feel compelled to protect their property and take care of it. It still makes you property, just well cared for property.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I was wondering if anyone else saw this! I watched it on PBS this morning, I was horrified! One thing I was curious about was the religious aspect, are the ones practicing this Muslims? If so, how (is) it addressed in any way in the congregation? What was especially shocking to me was that no one was ashamed, they were smiling at the parties, it was totally acceptable. I do agree that with this going on in the middle east, their (the extremists) focus on America's ills seems like a straw/rafter situation.

Another thought I had after watching that was does anyone really believe that there is a god, and one that cares about people? When I see these kinds of atrocities, it makes my belief stronger that there either is no god, or he/she is impotent or unconcerned.

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

its so much easier to honor something that doesn't exist.

• Mary
    Mary

What else do you expect from Islam? As has been already noted, women and children in their culture are still viewed as 'property' by the males and they can do whatever you want with them. Utterly nauseating.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I was just reading the Wiki entry on "Three Cups of Tea". Mindmelda, this is akin to what you are saying about the way a society treats it's women. I've heard more than once, that countries with educated, empowered women, are better off in pretty much every way. This summary points to a probable reason why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Cups_of_Tea

Summary

In 1993, Greg Mortenson attempted to climb K2, the world's second highest mountain, in the Karakoram range of northern Pakistan, as a way of honoring the memory of his deceased sister Christa. He was planning to lay her amber necklace on the summit of K2. [5] After more than 70 days on the mountain, Greg and three other climbers had their ascent interrupted by the need to complete a 75-hour life-saving rescue of a fifth climber. After getting lost during his descent, he became weak and exhausted, and by chance alone, instead of arriving in Askole, where his porters awaited, he came across Korphe, a small village built on a shelf jutting out from a canyon. He was greeted and taken in by the chief elder of Korphe, Haji Ali. [6]

To repay the remote community for its hospitality, Mortenson promised to build a school for the village. After difficulties in raising capital, Mortenson was introduced to Jean Hoerni, a Silicon Valley pioneer who donated the money that Mortenson needed for his school. In the last months of Hoerni's life (Hoerni was dying from leukemia), he co-founded the Central Asia Institute, endowing the CAI to build schools in rural Pakistan and Afghanistan. [7]

Mortenson faced many daunting challenges in his quest to raise funds for the building of more than 55 schools in Taliban territory, including death threats from Islamic mullahs, long periods of separation from his family, and being kidnapped by Taliban sympathizers. [8]

Reflecting on the state of the post-9/11 world, Mortenson argues that extremism in the region can be deterred through collaborative efforts to alleviate poverty and improve access to education, especially for girls. Formerly, schooling focused on the boys, but educated boys tend to move to the cities to find jobs, and seldom return. By contrast, educated girls tend to remain in the community and pass their enhanced knowledge to the next generation. Thus, Mortenson suggests, educating girls has more of a lasting benefit for the community. [9]

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Watch the movie "The Kite Runner". It addresses the issue of these dancing boys.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm sure that most Muslims don't feel any more responsible for the bizarre cultural and sexual practices of a sub-set of Afghanis than you yourself feel, chickpea. And just like yourself, Muslims can be outraged by more than one thing at a time.

That's the way humans like you and Muslims roll.

• Piercingtheveil81
    Piercingtheveil81

As a muslim and convert to Islam, I felt some obligation to respond to this thread. While I certainly understand some points of views, there are others that I don't agree with.

With regards to the pbs documentary, I've not seen it. However, I can say that this is absolutely forbidden by Islamic Law and such an offender might even receive execution as a punishment. While I don't necessarily agree with the Taliban's harsh interpretation of Islamic law, it is agreeable that they still brought some stability where the warlords previously in power only brought chaos, infighting and immorality . Unfortunately those very same warlords are now in control again thanks to the US invasion. We shouldn't confuse cultural practices, which may run contrary to Islam, with Islam.

The truth is there are many more instances of rape, adultery, kidnappings, drug dealing, etc... in the supposed christian countries than in muslim ones. Our laws may be harsh to some, but they serve to keep stability and piety within the islamic society similar to the ways the laws of the Torah were made to keep order in a righteous God fearing society. That is of course where the islamic laws are truly being practiced which is not in many countries currently but will be someday again.

About the south park issue, many muslims and myself find it offensive when they might mock or belittle any of the prophets, including Jesus, Moses, or Abraham, etc... With regard to acid being thrown into the faces of girls, then all I have to say is that this has nothing to do with what is actually based in the Quran or the teachings of the prophet, peace be upon him. There are many muslims who are ignorant about islamic laws and rulings, but praise Allah, the Exalted, much of the younger generations are learning and God willing that will increase.

If anyone has questions regarding Islam or muslim practices, ask me or someone who lives it before you judge.

PVT81

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit